The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/27/2017 5:32 pm  #21

Re: Impostor theory and what it would mean to the overall story line.

Thanks Brittany for reading my comments!  I tend to agree with a lot of what you said.  The chicken bone thing, though is so specific - and they showed how Berlin, former KGB, used the same technique.  I am always suspicious of coincidence in TBL!  LOL  By the way I also think that Berlin knew Carla....but that's probably a discussion for another day.    Enjoy the premiere!!

10/02/2017 1:45 am  #22

I think they would not feel betrayed. The one issue almost everyone on the task force has a problem with is the they are working with a criminal. Revealing "Red is not really Red" would put minds at ease especially if he assumed Raymond Reddington's identity for a noble reason...such as protecting Liz or bringing down the Cabal. Also, one must not assume that there isn't someone in the FBI who knew of his true identity from the very start. For example, Agent Cooper. Imposter Red asked for him by name when he surrendered to the FBI. He knew what cologne Cooper wore. There is also a connection with the yet to be explained Kuwait accident. Could be him or someone else. I think Fitch knew. If you want to read more about the imposter theory or read a list of all the evidence, visit The Blacklist Fan Site to read my articles on the subject. You can also read my interviews with cast and crew by clicking "inside The Interrogation Room". That is my column.

10/02/2017 10:11 am  #23

Clearingtheredtape - Hi and welcome!  Though I haven't done this, I also think its worth comparing the reaction Cooper has to "Red" in the box in the pilot and to "Fred" in Gregory Devry.  Since I first saw DeVry I've thought that it was a re-run of parts of the pilot and was a case of the "imposter impersonating the imposter" and I think DeVry is heavy with clues, particularly at the end, and how "Fred" calls himself Ray, a name which no one except Fitch has used for "Reddington".  Of course, it could have just been to keep "Red" And "Fred" separated in the script!  lol

I've been on and off with the imposter theory starting very early on in the series, and I've basically been on the theory again since somewhere in Season 4. So I find your thoughts interesting.

10/02/2017 10:22 am  #24

Heehee, hubris is excessive pride or being overly confident, but it would be a fun name for a men's cologne! It's usually something that goes along with pride goes before a fall. As in, the gods will take revenge if you think you are better than they are.  Maybe Red's "game" is against Cooper as his opponent. Getting back to our game theories, of course. Not Cooper as an adversary, more of a contestant.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

10/02/2017 8:26 pm  #25

I just rewatched Gregory Devry this week and noticed several differences between Fred and Red.  They had different personalities (Fred wasn't at all charismatic or as smooth), Fred showed no interest in Elizabeth, refers to himself as Ray...I feel like there was something else but I've forgotten it.  I thought it was very interesting that Red didn't ask Devry to pretend to be him in personality, just in name and occupation.

lara1 wrote:

Clearingtheredtape - Hi and welcome!  Though I haven't done this, I also think its worth comparing the reaction Cooper has to "Red" in the box in the pilot and to "Fred" in Gregory Devry.  Since I first saw DeVry I've thought that it was a re-run of parts of the pilot and was a case of the "imposter impersonating the imposter" and I think DeVry is heavy with clues, particularly at the end, and how "Fred" calls himself Ray, a name which no one except Fitch has used for "Reddington".  Of course, it could have just been to keep "Red" And "Fred" separated in the script!  lol

I've been on and off with the imposter theory starting very early on in the series, and I've basically been on the theory again since somewhere in Season 4. So I find your thoughts interesting.

10/03/2017 2:42 pm  #26

On the flip side of this:  what would it take for those of you who believe in impostor theory to be convinced that this Red is the real Raymond Reddington?

10/03/2017 3:15 pm  #27

I think Red is really Red but Red is not what he appears to be.
He even said that he became the criminal that they had made him out to be. What was he before that? A Naval intelligence officer. A spy. I have always and still believe that he was framed. Whether that was done while he was undercover or after his cover was blown, or when, I don't know. It may have even been done to reinforce his cover, for all we know.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

10/03/2017 3:40 pm  #28

Brittany - I've flipped and flopped about whether I think Red is the real Raymond Reddington. What it willt take to resolve it for me is the end of the show, or storylines that clearly and without a doubt show Red's back story as being Raymond Reddington.  While I'm not firmly in the impostor camp, I don't think the Rederina theory has been ruled out.

10/03/2017 6:08 pm  #29

Honey West-- I agree with all of that.  I wonder how the task force and especially Liz would feel about him if that were the case (for either the framing or the undercover operative thing).  

Honey West wrote:

He even said that he became the criminal that they had made him out to be. What was he before that? A Naval intelligence officer. A spy. I have always and still believe that he was framed. Whether that was done while he was undercover or after his cover was blown, or when, I don't know. It may have even been done to reinforce his cover, for all we know.

10/03/2017 6:14 pm  #30

Brittany wrote:

Honey West-- I agree with all of that.  I wonder how the task force and especially Liz would feel about him if that were the case (for either the framing or the undercover operative thing).  

Honey West wrote:

I think the Task Force would either feel relieved or betrayed, but Aram would think it was the coolest thing yet. 

10/03/2017 6:28 pm  #31

Speaking just for myself, I hope that we do not find out until the end of the series.  I don't rule out anything, and I think that no one theory has been totally proved or totally disproved, including that Red is the real Reddington.  I haven't totally ruled out Rederina either, nor whether Red is the brother or (more likely between the two) half brother of Katerina.  My own personal theory is that Red took over Reddington's identity, possibly with the approval of, or request of, the government, and is deep undercover, or did it for self-survival - Reddington supposedly had the fulcrum

The long version of the season 5 premiere that NBC aired had a short clip of ballerina girl.  I think if that is resolved it will be a good clue.  If she is Red's daughter (a big if) it is improbable (though not impossible) for "real" Reddington to be her father - she appears around 10 years old - in 1987 - and I don't think very little dancers can even do the ballet steps that she is shown doing). The home movies that seem to be from the late 1970s or early 1980s.... that, to me, plus all of the multiple things that "Red" is said to have done, the many homes, Tacoma Park etc., see too much to all be one person.  But they could be.

If Red is not an imposter, then my second theory would be aligned with Honey West - he is the real Red but the things ascribed to him, he did not do.  Maybe even a person "impersonating" the real Reddington all those years ago, did those things and framed him.  He could be deep undercover still, or avenging what happened to him. Or Reddington as such may have never existed - a totally made up identity of someone who doesn't exist - there are multiple references to that scenario in the series as well!  LOL

Here are some random thoughts I had on this over the past few days:

There are three instances of someone "impersonating" Red.
"Devry - "Fred"
Kaplan - appears to do all in Red's name, or as Red
Fitch - orchestrated the Kursk bombing, but pinned it on Red

Which kind of speaks to either the imposter theory or HW's thoughts - the real Red, but who is Red and who actually did the things things he was falsely accused of doing.

10/04/2017 1:49 pm  #32

I've been thinking about the new revelation of paternity and how that fits in with Red never lying to Liz (which I believe is still true). In Mr. Kaplan Conclusion, Cooper says he used blood from Reddington's shirt sealed in an evidence locker for over three decades.  He could have easily gotten something more recent to use instead (and he wouldn't have had to tamper with evidence).  Liz said she palmed his drinking glass two weeks after they met and had it tested but couldn't look at the results.  So I think this was written in as a way out for the writers.  I think the DNA is from the real Reddington who is indeed Liz's father, not the Red that we know.  It was long enough ago that Cooper doesn't know the difference, he may not have spent much time around Reddington back then anyway.  After she told him about the results of the DNA test, Red has never denied or confirmed to Liz about being her father, he just lets her believe it but you can see how hard it is for him whenever she brings it up.  I have no idea how this fits in with the rest of the story or who Red really is, but it helps me reconcile the DNA test with Red never lying to Liz.  I now subscribe to the Impostor Theory.  Raymond Reddington is her real father, but it's not the one everyone thinks!  This season should be a blast!

10/04/2017 4:26 pm  #33

Hi Lucky!  Welcome.  I am very excited for this Season and can't wait to see how the story progresses.  Did you also notice when Cooper cut that piece from the shirt, that another small sliver of a piece had already been cut?  No idea why that may have been unless they wanted to test the blood at that time.  But why - presumably they had Reddington back.  And I'm not sure DNA testing was done back then -  and it was separately confirmed in one of the episodes that no DNA on Reddington was on file. Hmmm

Last edited by lara1 (10/04/2017 4:27 pm)

Board footera