The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2021 10:28 am  #1

Looking Back on Cape May and The Artax Network Episodes

Cape May is a mesmerizing, phantasmagoric treasure chest.

Please pardon the length of this post. Cape May for me was unique – the most challenging, hypnotic, abstract and turgid episode in 8 seasons of TBL. Its cinematic pacing, puzzles and verbal ambiguities were addictive like a Bergman movie, a Beckett play or a Stoppard text. My views below explore circumstantial evidence of the “Redarina” sex and identity change that was later outlined in Rassvet and finally codified in Nachalo. Hat tip to Eastcoast for the timeline thread for the dates below.

In 2016 Red (who previously was Katarina) is tricked into believing that daughter Masha died while birthing baby Agnes. The despondent RR embarks on an NYC opium-den bender, then a revisit to the Cape May NJ diner and beach resort where, twenty-some years prior, Red as Katarina slaughtered her pursuers and attempted to but did not drown herself.

KR in 1990 was physically alone at Cape May. RR likewise is physically alone at Cape May in 2016. When we viewers see them both together, it is the 2016 RR (post opium) who is flashing back to and self-examining his prior existence. Thusly RR “rescues” KR from suicide not physically but metaphorically.  Dittos for Red’s metaphoric aid in helping KR, solo in Cape May, kill all of her 1990 attackers.

Cape May also separates the pre and post Katarina-Red bodies for several metaphysical self-dialogues. The current RR and his former self KR thusly debate: their prior choices, suicide, killing enemies, protecting Rostova offspring. Parts of these surreal, time-traveling, RR-KR conversations are disconnected, puzzling and cannot be better understood until new info emerges in later BTL seasons (e.g., in Requiem).

TBL directors use clever telephone clues to time stamp various ambiguous Cape May scenes and action. The wall phone in the 1990 diner flashback is a relic pay phone activated by a single coin. The hotel desk phone has buttons in 2016 with RR, but suddenly had a rotary dial for the 1990 KR suicide visit flashback. Likewise the cell phone from KR's 1990 enemy/victim was a slide-panel model with the protruding antenna nub.

The Red-Katarina Cape May dialogues cover the dilemmas and choices that each character faced twenty years apart. Circa 1990 KR chose to protect and save only one body from the Christmas fire – thereby rescuing daughter Masha and subordinating the fatally wounded (original) Reddington. KR later chose to relocate and rename Masha as Elisabeth and to vanish herself by becoming RR. Circa 2013 this resurrected RR chose suddenly to reverse course and stealthily to re-establish contact with the unsuspecting FBI agent Lizzie, his now grown daughter. RR in 2016 like KR in 1990 chose to reject suicide.

RR in 2016 sees a beachcomber find KR's precious abandoned, inscribed gold locket from “Papa. To RR this 1990 suicide-day memento is priceless; he buys it back with a huge wad of hundreds. Finding his old locket suddenly compels RR to “see someone.” We viewers learn only in later episodes that this “someone” is his own hermit father and former KGB mentor Dominic.

Piano clues in Cape May foreshadow and illuminate these startling Rostova family connections. We see the 1990 KR at the resort grand piano playing slow, sad, mournful notes. Later in 2016 we see RR alone, reminiscing, and re-playing at the same piano those same distinct music fragments. One broadcast week later in The Artax Network, Red sees that Dominic's piano has a broken key that prevents Dom from playing a minor-key Russian prelude. It is RR’s upbringing (i.e., his former life as KR) that gives him those intimate music details about father Dom.  After his prickly visit RR secretly repairs the broken piano key before returning to DC without saying goodbye to his angry, bitter father. As the Artax episode ends, Rostova patriarch and great grandfather Dom begins another sad, elegiac, minor-key piano melody that continues over a montage of poignant scenes: of his altered daughter RR at his granddaughter Lizzie’s grave site; of 4 FBI Task Force members’ remembrances of Liz; and of Tom swaddling Dom’s newborn great granddaughter Agnes. Masterful scene and music architecture.

During my NBC broadcast viewings of these two episodes I was clueless. I had no inkling whatsoever of even a “Redarina” possibility, nor of all the evidence therefor embedded subtly throughout episodes. But after many hours of later reading here the prescient “Redarina” advocacies and counter arguments of Blacklist Refugees (plus my scores of rewind-repeat viewings of many DVD episodes) eventually I axed the “ludicrous” label I had first attached to “Redarina.” In phases I upgraded “Redarina” to a Red herring; then to amusingly feasible but highly unlikely; then to OK– credible; next as OMG likely; and lastly to ... reality. Further post-Nachelo episode re-viewings (laden with scores of new Aha! moments) convinced me that the TBL producers, directors and writers imbedded the Redarina option in the arc of the series beginning with the Season 1 Pilot. Several perceptive, prescient Refugee posters here were on to this evidence very early. Kudos!!! 

Apologies if this post should have been in the Redarina thread of the Theories heading. 

Red: "Betraying [Katarina] would be like ... betraying myself."  (Season 7, Louis Steinhil part 1)

8/25/2021 6:52 pm  #2

Re: Looking Back on Cape May and The Artax Network Episodes

Earnest - I enjoyed reading your analysis of Cape May, especially the parts about the choices and dilemmas, and the phone and piano clues.  It is like a Bergman film, and the first time I watched it, I found it very unsettling. I also thought it very much kept the Redarina theory afloat.

I also enjoyed seeing how your belief in Redarina changed and evolved over time.  I had heard of the Redarina or Mother theory as early as the second half of Season 1, and I thought it was interesting then.  But my belief in it ramped up throughout Season 3. Some of the things that caught my attention in Season 3:
* Red reading the play "Mother Courage"
* Red saying, "I'm a violent man. I've taken on a life that requires it."
* Red seeing the signs of pregnancy in Liz.
* Red knowing Katarina's innermost thoughts about her pregnancy. 
* The way Red touched Liz when she was "dead" and his collapse at the car.  Those actions seemed like a mom's reaction to me.
* Cape May screamed to me that Red and Katarina were somehow the same person.  I didn't want it to be Redarina because the theory was hated by so many of my friends in the fandom.  So I came up with the idea that The Blacklist was a multiple personality tale, and we discussed that idea for a couple of seasons here and on another forum.  (By Season 4, I was leaning heavily back to Red being Katarina.)
*The Artax Network showed us a close relationship between Red and Dom, and we had Red knowing just where Katarina's trunks was and giving us a glitter moment.

I agree that there were Redarina clues throughout the series.  In the very first episode when Red goes inside the FBI to surrender, we see a woman in heels walk across his shadow. I believe that's symbolic of his hidden or shadow self - Katarina.  Similarly, the whole storyline with Jolene is both a parallel and metaphor for Katarina - a red headed honeypot operative who faked her death and has followed Red everywhere he's gone.

8/28/2021 1:19 pm  #3

Interesting. I will have to read again and do a rewatch, since I haven't seen either of those in quite awhile.
Nice analysis.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

8/31/2021 1:33 pm  #4

Tuxie --- Your citing of Jolene reminds me: Shake-speare frequently doubled-up on parallel character types, couples and family members: to add emphases, to contrast, to foreshadow, or to add echoes or nuance to what his main characters were thinking and doing. Jolene indeed is a terrific example of a TBL echo of Katarina Rostova – red haired, smart, living a double or triple life, aggressive, improviser, adept, etc. While the Bard had only 2-3 live stage hours in which to cram such devices into his Elizabethan play texts, the TBL writers have had 8 years and 150+ episodes in which to spread and tease out these various data points and revelations. Choppy, highly non-linear editing made it challenging for us viewers to piece together this content and to connect the dots.

Ah, the ethereal glitter moment in Artax. Red's observation is so female. It saddens and infuriates Dom as he sees and mentally bemoans his forever lost daughter. It also reminded me (lightbulb!) of Katarina's cover as a Bolshoi ballet person and Red's financial and aesthetic connections to the ballet. Mysterious as encountered, but now understandable given more facts.

Red: "Betraying [Katarina] would be like ... betraying myself."  (Season 7, Louis Steinhil part 1)

9/01/2021 10:15 pm  #5

Earnest - There were so many echoes of Katarina Rostova throughout the series. You are right that so much that once seemed curious is more understandable given the facts.  

10/20/2021 1:01 am  #6

That was a nice analysis. I loved Cape May too.
Thank you for the hat tip!  I try to keep good notes and pay attention to Continuity and any inconsistencies.

Speaking for myself, I do not have any one theory that I am stuck on. My idea of who he is can change with each episode.

When I'm breaking down a mystery that they have dragged out for eight years, Everything has to fit. The MT theory doesn't work for me because is not consistent enough and the time line doesn't fit. If One thing goes against who I think he is, I have to scratch that idea. 

I'm just watching at this point because I feel like the story is all over the place.

It's a shame you have no crackers  

Board footera