The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2019 8:14 pm  #21

Re: Admin Notes

What's the purpose of the spambots?  Are they mining some kind of information.  I don't get it.

6/05/2019 10:47 am  #22

This is from Wikipedia and discusses forum spambots and makes me think I will go ahead and require the security questions part of registering for our forum (don't worry, they will be easy TBL-related questions, I just need to think them up!): Forum spambots browse the internet, looking for guestbookswikisblogsforums, and other types of web forms that they can then use to submit bogus content. These often use OCR technology to bypass CAPTCHAs. Some spam messages are targeted towards readers and can involve techniques of target marketing or even phishing, making it hard to tell real posts from the bot generated ones. Other spam messages are not meant to be read by humans, but are instead posted to increase the number of links to a particular website, to boost its search engine ranking.One way to prevent spambots from creating automated posts is to require the poster to confirm their intention to post via e-mail. Since most spambot scripts use a fake e-mail address when posting, any email confirmation request is unlikely to be successfully routed to them. Some spambots will pass this step by providing a valid email address and use it for validation, mostly via webmail services. Using methods such as security questions are also proven to be effective in curbing posts generated by spambots, as they are usually unable to answer it upon registering.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

6/05/2019 2:05 pm  #23

Sounds nefarious. I think security questions are a good idea!

6/05/2019 3:22 pm  #24

We have three questions now. I figured why not?

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

6/06/2019 11:50 am  #25

Due to the bots, this is a good idea. 

I have heard from people who sell online say that there is a problem with newbies buying things and not paying for them.  They said this is because some companies promote this.  An example of this is,  If they sign up and bid, they can get a free magazine or something similar.  😖

I think that is a horrible thing to promote since sellers have to pay fees and such.

Last edited by Eastcoast (6/06/2019 11:52 am)

It's a shame you have no crackers  

6/06/2019 12:11 pm  #26

Totally agree, Eastcoast. I don't sell online, but I do get people asking me if I do. I belong to a closed Facebook group where people who sell at craft fairs can go to vent. It's amazing how many people will stand right there in your booth and almost get mad when you say you don't sell online. You just want to say Ummmm, you CAN buy it right here, right now, you know....no shipping, you get it immediately. People are funny.

Board footera