The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2018 3:44 pm  #241

Re: Redorina?!?!?

Good point, Tuxie. I forgot about Vanessa Cruz. She was quite a bit like what Katarina may have been like in her day.  I'm not sure if she would have even had to seduce Carla sexually or romantically, but could have 'seduced' her in other ways (the possibility of money, power, etc).  
I'm definitely curious about what we will learn about the real Raymond Reddington.  Was he a good guy?  He may have been good at his job, but what was he like as a person?  Clearly he didn't care to cheat on his wife and it sounds like he may have loved Katarina if he wanted her to run away with him and bring Masha.  But what stopped Katarina?  She loved him, but something about the idea of being with him and bringing Masha into that life stopped her from actually doing it.  

Last edited by Brittany (5/21/2018 3:45 pm)

5/21/2018 4:12 pm  #242

Brittany wrote:

Good point, Tuxie. I forgot about Vanessa Cruz. She was quite a bit like what Katarina may have been like in her day.  I'm not sure if she would have even had to seduce Carla sexually or romantically, but could have 'seduced' her in other ways (the possibility of money, power, etc).  
I'm definitely curious about what we will learn about the real Raymond Reddington.  Was he a good guy?  He may have been good at his job, but what was he like as a person?  Clearly he didn't care to cheat on his wife and it sounds like he may have loved Katarina if he wanted her to run away with him and bring Masha.  But what stopped Katarina?  She loved him, but something about the idea of being with him and bringing Masha into that life stopped her from actually doing it.  

I still see a great deal of emotion in that relationship between Carla and FRed, who I believe is Katarina. There had to be either a deep freindship or a romantic relationship to evoke the anger from Carla and the tender looks FRed gave.her when she was released from Berlin and at their goodbye.

I think what stopped Katarina from running away with Raymond was her concern for Masha's safety. There were no guarantees that they wouldn't be caught if they ran. And she worried what would happen to Masha, if they were either killed or imprisoned.

5/21/2018 4:36 pm  #243

I think you're right about both things, Tuxie.  

When I think about all the factors involved up to this point, a very strong connection to Katarina appears.  The players involved in knowing the whole truth (who were around before the fire) are: Sam (who knew both KR and RR, but was close enough to call KR 'Kat' when no one else ever does and he never mentions Raymond), Kaplan (who knew only KR before the fire), Dom (who was KR's father), and Naomi (who was RR's wife).  Other things that factor in as strong connections to Katarina would include: 1) knowing were Liz was after the fire.  Katarina was very cautious about where she sent Liz and didn't want Kaplan anywhere near her because she could potentially expose her, 2) Red knowing that Kaplan was skilled as a crime scene cleaner after she cleaned up the man Katarina killed.  I doubt she would want to go around advertising that her nanny knows the truth about her job.  If random people didn't take her out, the KGB would, 3) Red knowing the truth of Liz's paternity when that was also something Katarina attempted to cover up, even though it seems likely she knew the truth if she put a fake paternity test out there for Kirk and didn't seem to even want to admit it to Kaplan, 4) Kaplan saying Red put Liz in her arms as a baby.  I've allowed for that to be a metaphorical thing back when it appeared Red was her father (as in a trusting her with his child way), but now that we know he isn't, then it wouldn't seem to make sense except in a literal way.  And the writers did say that wasn't an error and it would be explained later on.  Then there are all the thoughts Red talks about in regards to Katarina's feelings on her pregnancy and her relationship with Liz's father (though they are somewhat contradictory to what Katarina tells Kate and what she writes in her diary).  He could have been lying, I suppose.  But those are also times when I felt like he was trying to be honest with her (even if he had to word things differently to hide his own truths).  And whoever he is, Dom blames him for making a colossal mess of things that resulted in him not being able to see his granddaughter, which seems to point to him being involved before or around the time of the fire and Liz being placed permanently with Sam.

So whether Red is actually Katarina or someone extremely close to her, the roads seem to strongly point back to her.  And I wonder if the reason why she (or whoever) took on Red's identity was in order to take the attention of the Cabal (and whoever else was involved) away from looking for Liz and onto him (in addition to protecting her). 

Also, Oleander was considered a dangerous operative back in the day.  I can't see him being strong-armed by a younger, unconnected operative into staying out of his granddaughter's life and trusting them to keep her safe.  His personality alone doesn't fit that. 

Edit: Another thing I remembered.  No one else has ever mentioned Red being shot in the fire or "how did he survive that".  We don't know who was even there at this point.  But Katarina knew the truth.  She didn't explicitly say it was Raymond or what, but she definitely implied that Liz had done something to a man and it would confirm Liz's memory of firing the gun and Red's assertions that she killed her father that night. 

Last edited by Brittany (5/21/2018 5:23 pm)

5/21/2018 5:47 pm  #244

Brittany - The director thought he knew. But I doubt that we'll ever know if he did. He may have thought Red was RR and Liz's father. like most of the audience. Or he may have known Red was Katarina, since he did know what she looked like.

It's always been my belief that Katarina became RR because of the fulcrum. He was the one she and the Cabal thought had it last. With this bluff that Red had the fulcrum, she was able to work out a deal with the Cabal to not only leave RR alone - but also to make sure she wasn't killed. Remember, upon Red's death, the contents of the fulcrum would be made public, so Cabal members had reason to  protect her. I think the ruse of Katarina's drowning put the CIA and KGB hunt to an end, and they stopped looking for her child as a means to get to her. To me, this was all about Katarina staying free and being able to protect Liz.

Last edited by Tuxie400 (5/21/2018 5:48 pm)

5/22/2018 8:54 am  #245

Hi all,

just to let you know that I can't get on the Rederina train, at least not yet.  For me, it doesn't completely gel and does not answer a lot of other weird stuff and repeated parallels, scenes dialogs etc and the other strange stuff we have seen linking the characters in the series.  (Agnes' age the last time we saw her, a random thing that comes to mind.  but there are tons of others)

So while I don't hate the theory, to me its a theory that I just don't buy into yet.  So while I'll be dipping in to read the comments here I won't be actively engaged in the discussions.  But I think its great for those of you who want to drop down that rabbit hole.   

5/22/2018 10:05 am  #246

lara1 wrote:

just to let you know that I can't get on the Rederina train, at least not yet.  For me, it doesn't completely gel and does not answer a lot of other weird stuff and repeated parallels, scenes dialogs etc and the other strange stuff we have seen linking the characters in the series.  (Agnes' age the last time we saw her, a random thing that comes to mind.  but there are tons of others)

So glad you posted this, Lara, and for the very reason you say you can't commit to this theory is why the the Who, What, When, Why, Where post is fantastic.

The show runners have often said that it will all make sense once we have all the pieces of the puzzle. 

We just don't have all the pieces yet. 

Keep posting and exploring ideas.  When we explore ideas together we're more likely to have the right perspective to solve the puzzle, or at least to 'get' mini vignettes. And more importantly, we'll have quite a ride in the process. 

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

5/23/2018 11:42 am  #247

Yes, Tatiana, while I respect the theory and see its possibilities, I just don't buy into it enough as yet to get into the discussions.  But I hope that all who are interested continue to post, and have the support here to do so.  I will certainly be reading them.

And yes there are lots of other threads to obsess over other ideas and theories!  And thanks for you and HW for continuing to oversee the site!  

Last edited by lara1 (5/23/2018 11:42 am)

5/23/2018 3:32 pm  #248

lara1 wrote:

Hi all,

So while I don't hate the theory, to me its a theory that I just don't buy into yet.  So while I'll be dipping in to read the comments here I won't be actively engaged in the discussions.  But I think its great for those of you who want to drop down that rabbit hole.   

I'm with you, Lara. There are so many things that point in the Redarina direction, but there are others I feel are very important that don't. If I'm being honest, maybe it's because I hate the idea so much that I can't fully embrace it. I do think it's easy to go down that rabbit hole and we were somewhat led there on purpose. Many who came up with and support that theory think all these blacklisters we've seen who can alter appearance, DNA, etc., are why the theory is plausible. Well, if the big reveal is actually true and this Red is not THE Red, all of those things that would explain the HOW Katarina could have become Red would also apply to how this Red became RR. I'm going to have to stick to my theory that Red is either RR's twin brother or he's Seaduke, and I'm not ruling out that Seaduke is Liz's father (or even the twin, for that matter).

Last edited by CindyKC (5/23/2018 3:33 pm)

5/24/2018 10:51 pm  #249

I am not on board with it but Everything is on the table until totally disproven.  

I do not mind reading the theory but I cannot get past the things I have already posted about with the medical stuff and search procedures that would have them all looking at each other after he turned himself in. (ah-hem, clearing my throat) 
Not only that, but I was thinking about this and I wondered why would anyone who is wanted become another person of the opposite sex no less who is wanted instead of someone who can walk around freely?   If it was only about the fulcrum then why not go back to someone else who is not on all the wanted posters?  Not that Red seams to have too many problems moving around the city with no one knowing who he is..... 

It's a shame you have no crackers  

5/25/2018 7:00 am  #250

Eastcoast - As Red said about being wanted by law enforcement: "I can always dodge those raindrops."   The fulcrum was a part of it, as were RR's network of contacts. After 25 years when Reddington turned himself in, would anything be detected in a body search? (Did you ever watch that video I linked to this thread?)  And how close would the searcher really look at anatomy if they have no idea of a gender switch? They're mostly looking for hidden weapons and to see if the tattoos are the same.

6/26/2018 11:15 am  #251

I've been on other discussion boards and one blogger who's done a whole lot of re-watches has said Red (Redarina) is another 'Karakurt'.

Karakurt is the Russian name for a specific spider, one which is particularly venomous and sometimes deadly. 

"Karakurt, that means spider, right?"

Then remember in the scene with Mr. Kaplan:
"Hello Raymond"
"Said the fly to the spider"

So you all know I have a goofy affinity for mythology and its references in this show. Plus, Lara and Tuxie have done an excellent job of showing patterns. There's lots of them. Mirrors and glass, lots of mirrors and glass that are shattered. And look a lot like a complex web, a spider's web.

In greek mythology (of course) there's a tale of a woman who was turned into a spider by the goddess Athena and condemned to weave. Her name is Ariadne and there's an expression, "Ariadne's Thread" which is the solving of a problem with multiple apparent means of proceeding - such as a physical maze, a logic puzzle, or an ethical dilemma - through an exhaustive application of logic to all available routes.

A Hobson's choice?

Sounds like The Blacklist to me!

Look at wikipedia... kind of interesting as I see it as the way to solve the puzzle of The Blacklist and I find it as the choices the characters face.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariadne%27s_thread_(logic)

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

7/09/2018 11:40 pm  #252

I had this thought come to mind and wanted to share it before I forgot.  I was thinking about KR writing in her diary talking about her father.  He said dad to Liz when referring to his fathers car so If Red were KR wouldn't he still call Dom dad/father and not Dom? 

Last edited by Eastcoast (7/09/2018 11:40 pm)

7/10/2018 9:23 am  #253

Eastcoast - re: if Red were Katarina wouldn't he still call Dom "Dad"

Not necessarily. In the world of spies, no one can ever let their guard down. If assuming a new identity, that identity must always be kept. We certainly know that Dom and Red have more than a familiar relationship. They've lived together. They've had breakfast together and know each others' idiosyncrasies. 
And of course, if it were true that Red is Katarina, then it would be a big reveal if he said, hey pops.

7/10/2018 1:57 pm  #254

Tatiana wrote:

Eastcoast - re: if Red were Katarina wouldn't he still call Dom "Dad"

Not necessarily. In the world of spies, no one can ever let their guard down. If assuming a new identity, that identity must always be kept. We certainly know that Dom and Red have more than a familiar relationship. They've lived together. They've had breakfast together and know each others' idiosyncrasies. 
And of course, if it were true that Red is Katarina, then it would be a big reveal if he said, hey pops.

In my opinion, everyone who knows Red is Katarina treats the situation like a deep undercover operation and stays in character. Kaplan knew. That's why she apologizes to Katarina and touches the K on the tree because she is exposing Katarina's cover as Raymond Reddington. Dom is likely not Dom's real name either. They call each other their cover names when talking to and about each other. Spies never break cover.

7/11/2018 12:06 am  #255

Maybe so. I would just think that if they were alone it could be different. Even spies talk among themselves. 
But anyway, it was something that crossed my mind. 

7/17/2018 10:03 pm  #256

For anyone who is interested and thinks the Redarina theory has merit, I invite you to join a Facebook page specifically for Blacklist devotees to discuss this theory.  It's certainly ok for people to not agree with Redarina, but I've found on other boards that suggesting Redarina may get you a lot of guffaws and rebukes. 

Fortunately, this is a group who takes the theory seriously. It is small. I think there are 77 people. If you are interested, let me know and I will give you more information.

I certainly do hope that we Blacklist Refugees all stay together through the end though :-) You all are so delightful, kind, and fun!!!!

7/18/2018 2:59 pm  #257

Of course we will stay together!  We are merely on hiatus ourselves right now.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

7/25/2018 9:02 am  #258

I've been mostly active on the FB page for Redarina theorists but I wanted to share an article that was just posted. Regardless of whether you're in the Redarina camp or not, it is very insightful. The transgendered male who is the focus of the article has some really fascinating insights as to what it is to be a male and a female.

The biggest take for me is those who insist Red is not a transgendered male born female, just take a look at this guys mug! Ha! No way he doesn't 100% pass as male!

http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/21/transgender-transition-mansplains/

7/25/2018 10:15 am  #259

Tatiana wrote:

I've been mostly active on the FB page for Redarina theorists but I wanted to share an article that was just posted. Regardless of whether you're in the Redarina camp or not, it is very insightful. The transgendered male who is the focus of the article has some really fascinating insights as to what it is to be a male and a female.

The biggest take for me is those who insist Red is not a transgendered male born female, just take a look at this guys mug! Ha! No way he doesn't 100% pass as male!

http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/21/transgender-transition-mansplains/

I read this article, but I see a mug photo. I too have been reading and posting mostly on the FB page for Redarina theorists.

7/25/2018 10:46 am  #260

Tuxie - here's an article with his photo. I believe the original article is in the Washington Post, but I don't have a subscription, otherwise I would link that.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/07/23/lesbian-feminist-transitions-to-male-then-gets-accused-of-mansplaining-heterosexual-privilege

Board footera