The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2018 12:12 pm  #1

Flowers - meanings?

I've just noticed that flowers are often present on sets. Lara, I know you've looked at clocks, numbers, and a bunch of other things, but flowers have meaning attached to them.

I'm not so certain TBL is always sending us a message through flowers, but clearly, flowers have been used to deliver messages: when Red delivers a bouquet of white flowers to Alan Fitch; when Red plucks a yellow flower from a back garden and gives it to the home owner (the blaclister? I don't remember) and Red tells him that giving a single flower like that means something to the effect of, I'm about to seek vengence against you... I can't remember. 

The thing is, during the turn of the century there was a great deal of knowledge and use of communication via flowers that is lost to us now. I love flowers, but I am only superficially knowledgeable of their meaning.

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

3/17/2018 11:06 pm  #2

Re: Flowers - meanings?

Tatiana, That is an interesting thought. 
I do think the flowers delivered to Fitch meant something was about to happen and they had to meet.  I remember the yellow flower to the guy in the brownstone and his wife because it was so funny!  
I just always think if flowers are delivered there might be a meeting coming up!  

It's a shame you have no crackers  

3/18/2018 7:48 am  #3

I don't know necessarily about the act of giving flowers, but there are various meanings to different types of flowers.  The various colors of roses have different meanings (red for love, yellow for friendship, etc), lillies are thought to be symbolic of innocence, which can be applied in various ways (including funerals where they are thought to signify the innocence the soul attains after death).  Perhaps there is meaning in the colors/types of flowers being given?  Or they are just a useful and visually pleasing prop. 

3/18/2018 10:31 am  #4

The Victorians also were very big on flowers and their meaning.  I can't quite remember whether it was something expanded upon from medieval times, that just grew, but it seems every flower had a hidden meaning.  I once had a book called something like the Language of Flowers,  it had a lot of the flowers and the meanings Victorians ascribed to them.

It would be interesting if certain flowers were repeated in the series, but I haven't been looking for that....it could be.

Last edited by lara1 (3/18/2018 10:32 am)

3/18/2018 10:07 pm  #5

lara, You reminded me I think I have that book or one similar packed up somewhere. I had a very large book collection but packed it up when I moved and since I downsized I didn't unpack a lot of them. 
​Maybe I will pay more attention to them when I do my rewatch this summer. It would be interesting to see if they did used flowers in the background to convey something that we didn't catch the first few years. lol

It's a shame you have no crackers  

Board footera