The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2017 3:04 pm  #1

Season 4 DVD/Blu-Ray Out 8/15

That's tomorrow, folks!

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

8/16/2017 1:34 am  #2

Re: Season 4 DVD/Blu-Ray Out 8/15

Might as well keep the DVD discussions here.

The gag reel is pretty good. It's nice to see a little levity behind the scenes of such serious goings-on. The other special features are good, too, especially the Kaplan piece. Also the lighter and darker shades of Red features. Sounds like they are looking forward to the season five stories, with Red having to rebuild his empire from scratch.

I haven't watched all of the deleted scenes yet, just the ones through Gaia. Looking forward to the commentaries for The Lindquist Concern, The Thrushes, and Requiem.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

8/16/2017 2:44 am  #3

Couldn't resist looking at suitcase skeleton frame by frame. The more I look, the less I see anything metallic in with the bones. It all looks like cut up bones and sinewy bits of dried flesh, it still looks like there might be a bullet hole between the eyes and I'm not positive, but maybe fuzzy reddish hair on the skull. But that could just be an illusion since the skull never seems to be in sharp focus. I don't see anything that looks like foot or hand bones. Interesting, but nothing is solved by the blu-rays to me anyway.

8/16/2017 8:22 am  #4

Honey West - So far all I've seen about the DVDs was on Venting Blacklist's Tumblr. It was a transcript of the cut scene with Kaplan and Liz in the barn with the illuminated bed. It was not the dialog I expected, and it had Liz being pretty harsh and negative to Kaplan. I had assumed that scene was the alternate ending in case the show had been canceled. But probably only part of it made the DVD.

I've stopped buying DVDs now that I just rewatch on Netflix. But I'm sure there lots of goodies to be found there. Do tell us about any juicy deleted scenes.

8/16/2017 7:19 pm  #5

Of course I can't wait to watch the deleted scene titled she prefers to be called Elizabeth now, or words to that effect. From Requiem.

8/17/2017 12:28 am  #6

I've seen that one too tuxie. There is also one of Liz seeing Besty the snake that's funny.

There is supposed to be a scene of Kaplan and Sam of him saying she can't see her. And one of Kate taking her things to her she left in the car including her Bunny.

Honey West,  I have had a question for you that I keep forgetting.

In season 3 when Liz and Sam are shown on the beach, what are they wearing?

And can you post a pic of those bones? 😁

😴😴😴

It's a shame you have no crackers  

8/17/2017 1:44 am  #7

So that's where Young Kirk disappeared to! He's in a deleted scene!
The Requiem deleted scenes are interesting, there is one where Kirk is rushing off on another business trip as Kate is playing with Masha in the yard. He tells her to "obey Mommy." There is also a deleted scene where Kate comes to Sam's house to see Masha and Sam says no, because she has finally stopped asking about mommy and Katia and he doesn't want to open that wound again. Kate leaves the bunny with Sam.
I'm watching the Requiem with commentary by Bokenkamp and Cerone and it's interesting. They keep saying that all of the things that seemed disjointed and inconsistent to us viewers will make sense when we finally see the whole story. They also confirm that the fire is The Fire, where Liz got her burn scar and also where Red got his burn scars. We will also see how that works eventually, too. But we do see Masha sitting in the motel room holding her hand, and that's about all we see of that. When Kate is playing with her they commented that, yeah, you probably wouldn't see her grab a burned hand like that.
Several scenes were supposed to be outdoors, but weather forced them indoors. Like when Kate and Sam are discussing what to do with Liz, Liz was supposed to be outside playing. and when Katarina phones Kate from Cape May that is right before she goes into the water. They stop short of saying that she dies, I noticed.
Cerone loves the Airstream trailer.
They said some of the time jumps didn't quite convey how much time had really passed. When Sam comes to get Kate to meet with Red that was a year or so later. They actually had a strict timeline with years and dates all mapped out and the scripts all had the dates on every page. They also talk about using VFX to make Sam and Red younger. They had talked to JS about whether they should find a younger actor to play Red in that scene, but they opted to not go that way. They were not thrilled with the way that scene was lit with the dark shadow across Spader's face; they thought it didn't need to be quite so dark. VFX did a nice job with him. VFX is quite expensive, they said. They also raised the pitch of Spader's voice slightly to make him sound younger as well. It made me think of how they did that with John Lennon's voice in Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, also to make him sound younger, since it's a song about childhood things.

In the scenes of Red's surrender, they shot new stuff, but the part where he and Gray are in front of the FBI and Red gets up to walk in are all footage from the Pilot. The editing and all are perfect.

Anyway, it's fun to listen to JB and D.C. talk about Requiem.

8/17/2017 1:52 am  #8

Eastcoast wrote:

I've seen that one too tuxie. There is also one of Liz seeing Besty the snake that's funny.

There is supposed to be a scene of Kaplan and Sam of him saying she can't see her. And one of Kate taking her things to her she left in the car including her Bunny.

Honey West,  I have had a question for you that I keep forgetting.

In season 3 when Liz and Sam are shown on the beach, what are they wearing?

And can you post a pic of those bones? 😁

😴😴😴

I will get Cape May back out and look at that scene again to see what they're wearing. Not swimwear, that's for sure! I'll try to get a photo of them.
I will see if I can get a good pic of the bones. I may have to photo the screen. But, I am getting a new TV that will arrive on Saturday. Larger screen and 4K ultra HD. Decided it was time for an upgrade for the living room 

8/17/2017 7:52 am  #9

Honey West - Thanks for describing the deleted scene in Requiem! It's good to know there was a young Kirk there, and the comments from JB and Cerone are interesting.

8/17/2017 10:15 am  #10

Tuxie400 wrote:

Honey West - Thanks for describing the deleted scene in Requiem! It's good to know there was a young Kirk there, and the comments from JB and Cerone are interesting.

Yes, he ended up not making the final cut. They said that although they do pretty tight scripts that they always end up with about ten minutes more than they can use for the 42 minutes that will air, so not everything makes it. Some of it helps explain the story we did see, so I'm glad they put it in the discs.

With Liz's burned hand they scripted it but it doesn't always get shot exactly as they wrote it. So the most we ended up seeing was her holding her hand as she sits on the bed all covered in soot. She probably should have been shown after that with her hand at least bandaged.

They both really praise JS for his devotion to the character of Reddington and the show itself. He dives into the scripts and goes over them line by line, offering suggestions that quite often are ones they go with. For instance, when Liz "died" he was supposed to have had a lengthy speech about it, and the script had him walk to the car and falter as he gets in. Well, he thought they should cut the speech and let his walk to the car and partial collapse be what they should do, and he was right.

8/18/2017 2:56 pm  #11

I watched the deleted barn scene last night. It takes place before Kate is set to testify so it's not an alternate ending piece. The most I took away from the scene was Kate telling Liz that she would always protect Agnes, even if her testimony ended up sending the entire Task Force, including Liz, to prison. Liz got angry about that part, that Kate would send Agnes' mother to prison in order to separate her from Red. And she ends by telling Kate that she wants her to stay away from Agnes and out of her life. I'm not sure if this scene was in addition to or instead of the scene by the water between Liz and Kate.

8/19/2017 2:39 am  #12

Another great special feature is the story of Mr. Kaplan. From the beginning to trying to show how she had that plate in her head that deflected Red's shot, and how they figured out how to show her scar to that Deputy. They had originally put a bald cap on Susan with a full wig, but opted for her removing that little hairpiece instead. They shot it both ways and if you look closely in that scene you can just barely tell that in some shots she is wearing the wig and in others she is not. They edited the footage together so they could use both without having to reshoot everything. They did say that it was sort of freaky to see a completely bald Mr. Kaplan standing there. They also shared that when they were shooting the scene of her and Annie being shot they were very careful to make sure that people didn't interpret it as a hate crime, because it was not, and they really wanted to tell the story of how Kate became known as Mr. Kaplan.

8/19/2017 1:15 pm  #13

Honey West wrote:

I watched the deleted barn scene last night. It takes place before Kate is set to testify so it's not an alternate ending piece. The most I took away from the scene was Kate telling Liz that she would always protect Agnes, even if her testimony ended up sending the entire Task Force, including Liz, to prison. Liz got angry about that part, that Kate would send Agnes' mother to prison in order to separate her from Red. And she ends by telling Kate that she wants her to stay away from Agnes and out of her life. I'm not sure if this scene was in addition to or instead of the scene by the water between Liz and Kate.

I still think that scene was part of an alternate ending, but there was likely more to it, and perhaps something caused Liz to go back in. Don't you think it's weird how the bed is illuminated and Kaplan is sitting by it? Also, you can see the infamous suitcase sitting not far from the bed.

8/19/2017 4:28 pm  #14

Tuxie400 wrote:

Honey West wrote:

I still think that scene was part of an alternate ending, but there was likely more to it, and perhaps something caused Liz to go back in. Don't you think it's weird how the bed is illuminated and Kaplan is sitting by it? Also, you can see the infamous suitcase sitting not far from the bed.

And yet another of those mica shade lamps. Props dept. must have gotten a good deal on those. 

8/20/2017 12:28 am  #15

Honey West wrote:

They also shared that when they were shooting the scene of her and Annie being shot they were very careful to make sure that people didn't interpret it as a hate crime, because it was not, and they really wanted to tell the story of how Kate became known as Mr. Kaplan.

Honestly, that was an amazing scene altogether. It was pitch perfect. Clearly the man shooting them was drunk and mad and it was just by accident that he came upon them having a romantic exchange. In a million years, I don't think any of us thought Mr. Kaplan's name came from her partner's last name. It was touching. And what I loved about it, and all of The Blacklist, is that never go politically correct, patronizing, or dogmatic. This is unique among American serials these days. And I relish it!

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

8/20/2017 12:18 pm  #16

I just saw some gifs from the Requiem scene that had Young Kirk and little Masha. I have reblogged the set on my tumbler.  Here were my thoughts about them.I’m amazed that they used a different actress from the Masha we see after the fire. This one, with her very light brown hair with blonde highlights, looks a lot like Bubble Girl from the Season 1 Takoma Park memory and the Season 2 home movie.Although Kirk gets his kiss from Masha, he doesn’t even give her a smile. He seems very stern and grim. I like that Masha is playing with THE bunny here. Too bad the scene was cut.

Here's the link to my tumblr.  I also recently added gifs from the Season 3 cut scene of Sam and Lizzy from Cape May.  I think it was Eastcoast who wanted to know how they were dressed.

https://irondestinypolice.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Tuxie400 (8/20/2017 12:18 pm)

8/20/2017 4:04 pm  #17

Thank you Tuxie400 for posting that!

The scene with Sam and Liz looks like Sam is looking for someone.  They are dressed for cool/cold weather.  Maybe Sam came down there with Liz trying to find KR.  If that is true, then maybe Liz was there when the 'choice' was made.
This is the girl that played in season 2 in the fire.

The scene with Kirk looks like the same girl that was in the stroller when Kate saw KR in the woods in the car.  She was a little younger.  I thought there were 3 kids that played young Liz, the baby, the younger toddler ( looks about 3) in the woods scene and the one in the hotel after the fire.

8/20/2017 4:10 pm  #18

My thoughts on the fire the last few days are that she was Masha when the real one happened. But she is Elizabeth/ Lizzy when they replaced her memory which is why she runs to the man when he calls her that.
We had discussed before about her answering to that name so soon after being taken from KR.

Now what I need to figure out is why she could hear them arguing about her name when she was in the closet?
I have some other thoughts but will have to come back later. RL is calling me!! lol

8/20/2017 5:26 pm  #19

I havent seen the cut scenes yet as for some reason they dont load on my tablet.   I find it interesting that little Masha ( or was she?  Heh heh)  is a different actress and looks more like bubble girl...or maybe the other girl in the closet...then again it was cut so who knows if it ever had any special meaning. I never know what to think about deleted scenes.

With Sam and Liz on the beach in Cape May, i always thought the purpose of that would have been to immediately let the audience know that Red was hallucinating as he seemed to see them right after first arriving on the beach. I dont know if it means they were really there back then with Katerina but it could.  Again  i never know the intent with cut scenes,.  But i think they made the right decision to cut it and give the episode a more ambiguous feel. Just IMO of course

With what i have seen of the attic scene with Kaplan it just further underscores for me what i thought was going on with Kaplan. But i agree that it raises a lot of questions. I don't know if Kapan intended to show Liz the suitcase just then, as at that point, Kaplan was still going to testify. The suitcase i felt was Kaplan's insurance policy if that did not work.  From what she said to Red on the bridge, she kind of realized late in the day that all she had to do was tell Liz the truth rather than just destroy Red.   I think if they changed the ending it was more to fit Tom back in once Redemption was cancelled not because TBL was ending. Of course just IMO  But what do i know it could have been anything. Lol.

8/20/2017 5:42 pm  #20

Eastcoast wrote:

Thank you Tuxie400 for posting that!

The scene with Sam and Liz looks like Sam is looking for someone.  They are dressed for cool/cold weather.  Maybe Sam came down there with Liz trying to find KR.  If that is true, then maybe Liz was there when the 'choice' was made.
This is the girl that played in season 2 in the fire.

The scene with Kirk looks like the same girl that was in the stroller when Kate saw KR in the woods in the car.  She was a little younger.  I thought there were 3 kids that played young Liz, the baby, the younger toddler ( looks about 3) in the woods scene and the one in the hotel after the fire.

Interesting observations. This Liz is definitely too old to have been at Cape May two months after the fire. And Sam's hair is not nearly the same. I think Red must be imagining them from a different time there. He said at one point that he'd only been to Cape May once. I also have always thought that if he was so badly burned in that fire that wouldn't he have still been out of commission two months later? Perhaps he went to Cape May later in search of clues about Katarina and met Sam there along with Liz? We still don't know when Liz's memories were wiped, so that could have been done after this meeting and she would have no recollection of Red in her past. Maybe he was saying goodbye to her before that was done, and her memories had been tampered with. We saw with Bogdan Krilov that he didn't just wipe memories, he also implanted false ones. Who knows exactly what he did to little Lizzie's memories.

So it brings the question back up as to when did Red make his Hobson's choice? Could it have been the night of the fire or even much later than Katarina's supposed suicide at Cape May? "Katarina" made a big deal about knowing that her child was being raised by someone else because being in her life would be death to her, that she would be hunted down and killed. This works for either Red or Katarina, although at the time of her suicide, Red was theoretically still in the good graces of his intelligence employers. I think that the parent that endangered her most was probably Katarina and her KGB connections. Liz's existence as Masha Rostova probably put both of her real parents in great danger as well. The only solution was removal of either her parents or removal of her. So Liz's connection to both parents needed to be severed and hidden to protect her. Liz was too young to be able to totally forget them, so her memories of them were "killed". Maybe the choice of the child to have memory work done was Red's Hobson's choice? Both were doomed, both would die. If they continued to be aware of one another they would always endanger each other. Of course, as you can see by this, it means that Katarina probably didn't die at Cape May two months after the fire. Maybe she died later, or maybe she is still alive after all, as some theorists have proposed. Faked deaths are not unusual in this show's storylines. 

Anyway, just some afternoon musings.

Board footera