The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2017 11:04 pm  #61

Re: Episode 4.18 - Philomena- - Discussion Page

A note on the fingerprint thing and Ressler.

So Red seemed truly surprised by the fingerprint thing.

I've thought from time to time if Ressler was actually in place to "protect" Red (using that word a little loosely), or reporting to someone behind the scenes who is.    Given that he (Ressler) could  never even get close enough to get a photo of Red and that despite Anslo Garrick giving very detailed info, Red somehow alluded Ressler in Brussels (and I think he (Red) said he "knew about" Brussels, meaning I think Red had prior knowledge that the (then) task force was going to take him down).  So Ressler, or someone he is working with is secretly protecting Red?

Is that how the fingerprints came back with no one in the database?  interesting.

Last edited by lara1 (4/27/2017 11:08 pm)

4/27/2017 11:27 pm  #62

Tatiana - insightful summary of what is going on re good vs bad and loyalties.  
And its interesting that Red is under siege and a lot of collateral damage being done, whereas Red has a moral compass that he abides by and you can say a lot of "bad" he does is for the greater good.  Doesn't mean its not bad , though

Tuxie400 - do you think that slip up with Kate re remembering the last time she was with Agnes is further clue as to the state of her memory?  It might be.  

Another episode to re-watch for sure.

4/28/2017 12:04 am  #63

So - thinking some more about those fingerprints led me to thinking about the prints that were (mysteriously in my view) ordered to be placed in Red's file in 1989.  And his address was given as Blacksburg, Virginia for those prints in the file.  I won't get into why those prints were placed in that file in 1989 of all dates.  Just the address

So - then I got to thinking about fire house.  Since it was downtown, is is possible it was Blacksburg?  Impossible to say, but if you spend some time googling downtown Blacksburg real estate and focus on the images part of the search results, there are several groups of townhomes that look like the row of homes in the TV news report on the fire.  Would need a screenshot to compare them one to one, but I wonder if we will find a match if we do.   

Last edited by lara1 (4/28/2017 12:05 am)

4/28/2017 1:10 am  #64

Big Badd Bazzer wrote:

lara1 wrote:

I wonder if the memory thing is going to turn out to have an unexpected twist....

Why do you think Kate let Marvin go?

I really like the actress who played Philomena - she's got a killer persona!

She didn't let Marvin go, she turned him over to the police. Just like the other guy. She's taking out Red's associates, but unlike Red, she doesn't kill them, she gets them arrested, presumably if they don't accept her alternative of either turning state's evidence or walking away from Red.  The Feds are going to have to build a new prison just to house all of Red's people after Kate gets finished with them.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

4/28/2017 1:12 am  #65

lara1 wrote:

Tuxie400 wrote:

BBB - Demington is my favorite ship! It was so sad to hear Red say Dembe is his only friend. I wonder what's in the box.

yes.  well hopefully we won't find out for a long time.   

Hopefully it's nobody's head.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

4/28/2017 1:23 am  #66

Tatiana wrote:

LDJones wrote:

Besides being an accomplice, Kate has also had innocent people killed. Off the top of my head, the argumentative boyfriend last week, and the wife of Red's associate in the hotel in Monaco. Red's bookkeeper may not have been so innocent, but she had him killed as well.

She's definitely going on a tirade and she doesn't seem to be concerned with any kind of 'moral compass'; she's laser focused on taking Red down.

Yeah, but she really seems to be most interested in putting him away forever, not killing him outright. I still question whether she was the poisoner. Something about all of that just doesn't add up, but I can't put my finger on it.

4/28/2017 2:46 am  #67

I like it when the show moves the stories along.

Some comments in no particular order:
Poor Marvin. He just can't catch a break. But that is the price for working for Reddington. Both Marvin and Red pointed out that their relationships are basically just business. Red makes them a lot of money, favors are done on both sides, but they are not really his friends. What we see is what happened to Dr. Nik. A favor is done, money changes hands, more favors are required, it gets deeper each time until you are over your head into Red's World. But Marvin wrapped up with pallet wrap and fastened to a light post. Funny! We used to do that to people in our office. One time we wrapped a coworker to her chair. It was almost frightening because you really can't move at all!

Red and Dembe. Awwww. When it comes right down to it Red is probably the loneliest guy on the planet. Self-imposed or a victim of circumstance? Either way, it is sad, and he knows it. But I think we got a hint of what it's really all about during their  somewhat one-sided conversation when Red said, "at the end of the day it's just business. In service of what? The safety, security, the health and well-being of the ones we love?" He also says that someday he and Dembe will be not co-workers, but cohorts. I get the feeling he meant more than protecting Liz, and I'm going back to my old idea that what Red "does" is that he and his organization are a sort of anti-Cabal. Both say they keep the world safe for the greater good of everyone. But it's probably a system of checks and balances that keep,the world from drifting into total chaos and destruction. Just a thought, of course, it could be that it is all for Liz after all.

Liz and Kaplan. I think Liz realizes that Kate is telling her more truth than Red ever has. Or that she has ever felt that he has. I think the affirmation was the thing that swayed her. Kate obviously doesn't think Liz or the FBI can protect her from Red. And Liz is yet another person that Kate tells to just walk away from Raymond. Last week she told Katarina that  she needed to leave the American. Tonight she tells Liz to "do what your mother never had the courage to do, until it was too late. Walk away from Raymond."

Red and Liz. Interesting conversation there with still a lot to resolve. "Finding out truths about who you really are is never easy." And I don't think she was talking about Tom.

Julian Gale. He's an interesting character. Puts himself right into the scene of the crime. Feels infinite guilt over getting those people killed.wants justice? We'll see how he plays out.

4/28/2017 7:36 am  #68

Very good observations from everyone!

Quick speculation from me: Red was planning on killing Kate to stop her, but after that conversation with Liz, he will take Kate to someone and have her memories wiped to the point that she is no longer a threat. The last scene of her in the season 4 finale will be of her tending to Agnes. This could work for the end game in that she could get her memories back and "pretends" all is well until the 5th season finale, where she shoots Red from out of nowhere.

As for the fingerprint question, I think Navabi is Red's inside mole and had the prints replaced.

4/28/2017 7:39 am  #69

RedIsMyCoPilot wrote:

When did Ressler ever work with Harry Roat, Jr.  from WAIT UNTIL DARK?

It wasn't shown in the series, but the two men worked together on the original FBI task force that was set up to catch Red. The irony in Season 1 was Ressler going from hunting Red to working for him via the secret task force.

4/28/2017 10:03 am  #70

IowaWatcher wrote:

RedIsMyCoPilot wrote:

When did Ressler ever work with Harry Roat, Jr.  from WAIT UNTIL DARK?

It wasn't shown in the series, but the two men worked together on the original FBI task force that was set up to catch Red. The irony in Season 1 was Ressler going from hunting Red to working for him via the secret task force.

I'd be willing to bet that Gale was in Brussels with Ressler. Interesting that one Reddington Task Force was dissolved and replaced with another Reddington Task Force.

Reddington has been turning on his old associates from the beginning. Is it any real surprise that someone is now doing the same thing to him?

In my Liz quote above it can be interpreted a couple of ways if you just read it without hearing her emphasis on certain words and subtle pauses. Just reading makes it sound like it's not easy to search for the truth, when the way she said it made it sound more like learning what the truth IS, isn't easy. So it further reinforces the possibility that she is either close to the truth or that she actually knows it, but is waiting to confirm certain parts of what she's discovered. Maybe she has also discovered that confronting Red directly is either dangerous or will just make him clam up even tighter.

Kate seems to believe that the best thing for everyone to do is just walk away from Red. As opposed to fighting him? So the best escape is to just sever all ties? He won't come after you? I wonder if that means he loses the control he had over you and that's what makes escape possible.

Anyway, off to work!

4/28/2017 11:43 am  #71

Gale had me a little . He had tears in his eyes and a few slowly sliding down his cheek (at least that's what my eyes saw) when he was reenacting the Diane Fowler scene. Wonder if that could be his mommy dearest? Or maybe he really respected her? Something had him focused on her body over any of the other 85 bodies. (I cracked up that they said 86 bodies about 10 times during the 42 minutes). 

The music during the Kaplan and Liz scene was weird. It almost killed the reveal for me.  

So glad to see Dembe up and ready to move. Guessing they enjoyed their last supper before the Kaplan takedown.

I have a feeling we'll have a present day Katarina or possibly Dom pulling the Kaplan strings. Or that's what I'm hoping for at least. 

I asked last week what is Samar's purpose again? She was hand-picked by Red, so I hope the fingerprint not coming back was her doings. The show writers have really built this ungrateful bitter brat character, and she delivers it perfectly, but I like the badass Samar with a little gentle side. I also could see Cooper and/or Aram assisting with the fingerprint. We still don't know the whole backstory of Red and Cooper and Cooper doesn't want any of his team to wind up in jail. And we all know Aram would just through hoops for Red. 

4/28/2017 12:31 pm  #72

lara1 wrote:

And its interesting that Red is under siege and a lot of collateral damage being done, whereas Red has a moral compass that he abides by and you can say a lot of "bad" he does is for the greater good.  Doesn't mean its not bad , though

Tuxie400 - do you think that slip up with Kate re remembering the last time she was with Agnes is further clue as to the state of her memory?  It might be.  

Kaplan's slip-up about Agnes was the only thing in this episode that I noticed that would indicate Kaplan has a memory problem or muddled thinking. But you may be right about her intentionally pointing out what she tried to do for Liz in helping her escape. Or ... we're in an alternate reality. LOL 

Last edited by Tuxie400 (4/28/2017 2:26 pm)

4/28/2017 12:34 pm  #73

lara1 wrote:

So - thinking some more about those fingerprints led me to thinking about the prints that were (mysteriously in my view) ordered to be placed in Red's file in 1989.  And his address was given as Blacksburg, Virginia for those prints in the file.  I won't get into why those prints were placed in that file in 1989 of all dates.  Just the address

So - then I got to thinking about fire house.  Since it was downtown, is is possible it was Blacksburg?  Impossible to say, but if you spend some time googling downtown Blacksburg real estate and focus on the images part of the search results, there are several groups of townhomes that look like the row of homes in the TV news report on the fire.  Would need a screenshot to compare them one to one, but I wonder if we will find a match if we do.   

Yes, I wondered why those prints were put in Reddington's file in 1989 and he was listed at being from Blacksburg. Were the fingerprints in the file really Reddington's to begin with? Maybe the fire was in Blacksburg. There's no way to know, unless the show verifies it.

Last edited by Tuxie400 (4/28/2017 12:42 pm)

4/28/2017 12:40 pm  #74

Honey West wrote:

But Marvin wrapped up with pallet wrap and fastened to a light post. Funny! We used to do that to people in our office. One time we wrapped a coworker to her chair. It was almost frightening because you really can't move at all! ...

Liz and Kaplan. I think Liz realizes that Kate is telling her more truth than Red ever has. Or that she has ever felt that he has. I think the affirmation was the thing that swayed her. Kate obviously doesn't think Liz or the FBI can protect her from Red. And Liz is yet another person that Kate tells to just walk away from Raymond. Last week she told Katarina that she needed to leave the American. Tonight she tells Liz to "do what your mother never had the courage to do, until it was too late. Walk away from Raymond."

I just wondered under what circumstances you would tape a co-worker to her chair. Was that a prank, and did the person taped to the chair do it willingly.?

I agree that remembering those affirmations were what made Liz think Kaplan was telling the truth about being her nanny. Good observation about Kaplan having told both Katarina and Liz to walk away from Raymond!

4/28/2017 12:49 pm  #75

Patter wrote:

Gale had me a little . He had tears in his eyes and a few slowly sliding down his cheek (at least that's what my eyes saw) when he was reenacting the Diane Fowler scene. Wonder if that could be his mommy dearest? Or maybe he really respected her? Something had him focused on her body over any of the other 85 bodies. (I cracked up that they said 86 bodies about 10 times during the 42 minutes). 

Patter - Gale did seem very emotionally invested in the Fowler investigation. I think he must have some personal connection to her. And he seems to have a lot of guilt over the people he tried to turn that Red killed. He doesn't seem at all like your stereotypical FBI agent. I guess Ressler will continue to work with him, so he can spy for Cooper, Red, and the task force. 

4/28/2017 3:32 pm  #76

Tuxie400 wrote:

Honey West wrote:

But Marvin wrapped up with pallet wrap and fastened to a light post. Funny! We used to do that to people in our office. One time we wrapped a coworker to her chair. It was almost frightening because you really can't move at all! ...

Liz and Kaplan. I think Liz realizes that Kate is telling her more truth than Red ever has. Or that she has ever felt that he has. I think the affirmation was the thing that swayed her. Kate obviously doesn't think Liz or the FBI can protect her from Red. And Liz is yet another person that Kate tells to just walk away from Raymond. Last week she told Katarina that she needed to leave the American. Tonight she tells Liz to "do what your mother never had the courage to do, until it was too late. Walk away from Raymond."

I just wondered under what circumstances you would tape a co-worker to her chair. Was that a prank, and did the person taped to the chair do it willingly.?

I agree that remembering those affirmations were what made Liz think Kaplan was telling the truth about being her nanny. Good observation about Kaplan having told both Katarina and Liz to walk away from Raymond!

Yes, Tuxie400, she dared them to do it and laughed the whole time until she discovered she couldn't move her arms enough to get free of the wrap. Then she got a little worried. But they cut her out of it right away. After that the pranksters just stuck to wrapping things in other people's cubicles when they went on vacation, like the chair would be attached to the desk, the doorway covered over like a cocoon, things like that. Silliness.

And Kate also told Liz that she needed to disavow the Task Force, too. I guess act like it never existed. Interesting. I wonder why? Because it was tainted?

4/28/2017 3:37 pm  #77

Tuxie400 wrote:

lara1 wrote:

Kaplan's slip-up about Agnes was the only thing in this episode that I noticed that would indicate Kaplan has a memory problem or muddled thinking. But you may be right about her intentionally pointing out what she tried to do for Liz in helping her escape. Or ... we're in an alternate reality. LOL 

My take on her not telling about the real last time she saw Agnes was because maybe  she didn't want to say, oh, the last time I had Agnes we were in a nasty auto accident, where she could have been killed. Maybe she felt that Liz really didn't need to hear that one. Either that or she forgot it as a result of that accident. Weren't they all knocked out for a bit? 

4/28/2017 4:14 pm  #78

I posted the You Tube for Dr. Bogdan Krilov 4.19 which we will see next week on our Spoiler page for that episode if anyone would like to look at it.

Ok, this was the most poorly constructed sentence I think I've ever had the unfortunate joy of creating. The spoiler is on our spoiler page now; the episode it's a spoiler for is next Thursday's.

Last edited by Tatiana (4/28/2017 4:16 pm)

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

4/28/2017 4:22 pm  #79

I think Red's tentacles have now extended to Movabi & Ressler - plus Aram has earned his spot w/ Reddington. Harold has been condensed to the cartoon-like 'Voice of Authority', now in slight fear of that Texas-accented woman.

What has become of Tom - and Team Tom w/ Nez & Solomon? Also, is there a future role for Janet/Elise. Annie "Oakley" Heise is such a wonderful screen presence - not as deep, dark & dour as the plot requires. If I were writing I'd have her dying around Ep. 18, perhaps saving Samar's life - in front of Aram, to boot . . .

Red: I can only lead you to the truth. I can’t make you believe it

4/28/2017 4:35 pm  #80

Big Badd Bazzer wrote:

Also, is there a future role for Janet/Elise. Annie "Oakley" Heise is such a wonderful screen presence - not as deep, dark & dour as the plot requires. If I were writing I'd have her dying around Ep. 18, perhaps saving Samar's life - in front of Aram, to boot . . .

Actually, BBB, Janet/Elise is in the season finale!!! I suspect she's a lynchpin, but don't know her whole purpose. We shall see. Depends on whether they are renewed or cancelled, IMO.

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

Board footera