The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2017 6:15 pm  #1

TV antennas....

Hi all,

I know that some of you watch network TV through an antenna and don't have cable..   In my quest to be free of cable, about 98% of which I don't watch, and ditto for network TV apart from news programs, I'm looking into getting an antenna to supplement the streaming services that I have.

Is there anything I especially need to consider when choosing an antenna?  For HD TVs, non HD Tvs, 4 K TVs and the like, or does it not matter which type of TV will be receiving the signal from the antenna?

thanks in advance for any info.   

12/06/2017 7:00 pm  #2

Re: TV antennas....

One thing to consider is how far you are from the transmitters.  You have to use antennas that will extend that far.  The closer you are to the tower, obviously the better the signal.  There are indoor and outdoor antennas. I live about 50-55 miles from the transmitters for my local affiliates so I went with a long range outdoor (70+ mile) antenna.  I also purchased an amplifier to help the signal come in better.  Most digital antennas are HD these days so I don't think that will be an issue.  You can research the degree angle you need online (the site I used was from the antenna company).  

12/07/2017 12:38 am  #3

I was planning to cut the cord earlier this year but directv gave me a killer deal to stay, so I haven’t done it yet, but I bought an RCA outdoor compact antenna that works for up to 40 miles from the stations towers. I am about twenty miles away as the crow flies and can see the towers from my house.  I forget how many channels I get, but it’s a lot! Most are crystal clear, a couple pixelate a bit, but I think they might be out of line with the other stations. This antenna is not omnidirectional, so you do have to point towards the stations. There are websites that can help you find which direction the stations in your area are located and the distance. Helps for picking the right antenna. Mine lists at $79.99. Can’t remember if I paid that or not, but I think I bought through Amazon. I also bought a Channelmaster DVR that records over the air broadcasts only. Those sometimes go on sale for a decent price, but are a couple hundred bucks at least. You can save by buying your own hard drive for it. I use it to record TBL and the local pbs station mostly.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

12/07/2017 3:48 pm  #4

Thanks Brittany and HoneyWest for the info!

It’s a bit tricky for me , because although in the city I’m very close to the transmitting towers, my apartment faces the opposite direction away from the towers so might be hard to get a signal. And I can’t have an outdoor antenna.

Will see. ....😁

12/07/2017 4:23 pm  #5

lara1 wrote:

Thanks Brittany and HoneyWest for the info!

It’s a bit tricky for me , because although in the city I’m very close to the transmitting towers, my apartment faces the opposite direction away from the towers so might be hard to get a signal. And I can’t have an outdoor antenna.

Will see. ....😁

That outdoor antenna that I have says it can also go into attic spaces, so maybe it can be indoors?

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

12/07/2017 6:01 pm  #6

1. Start by going to www.tvfool.com -- put in your address and you'll get a report showing how far you are from the stations, as well as suggestions for an antenna.

2. There are a lot of new antennas that look like plastic sun catchers that can be placed on the inside of a window with a suction cup, and occasionally these can pick up signals in the situation that you described.

3. I'd have to consult TV Fool to be sure, but my first thought would be an omni-directional, unamplified wall antenna, possibly hung on the wall closest to the station. Walmart has them for around $20, as does Target. Of course, Amazon has many different models.

4. Getting these arrangements to work in an apartment requires some patience. You may find that you may have to hang the antenna on the north wall during the day and move it to an east wall during the night to pick up the stations. You will also need to re-scan channels on your TV. Many people give up at this point and go back to cable, but it's also a cost/benefit analysis.

For example, my antenna hangs on the east wall most of the time (on a cup hook). I get all of the channels (around 18 or so, except 17 (Fox). If I want to watch Fox, I have to move the antenna to the front window and re-scan the TV channels. I keep a suction cup with a hook in the front window. Since I only watch Fox about once a month, that's what I do. If I watched it more often, I'd probably get a second antenna or re-arrange the room.

This is all worth it to me because even with bundled services, the cheapest cable is $40 per month, and nothing on TV merits that sort of expense because that's $480/year (+ tax). I spent about $22 for my latest antenna and $2 or so for a pack of cup hooks and small suction cups. That's a one-time expense of $24 for 19 channels. I'll put up with having to move the antenna and re-scan periodically.

This is similar to my antenna:

https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Paper-thin-Reversible-Performance-MH-110543/dp/B00JC9J2NQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512688188&sr=8-3&keywords=leaf+antenna

Last edited by IowaWatcher (12/07/2017 6:10 pm)

12/07/2017 6:04 pm  #7

Honey West wrote:

That outdoor antenna that I have says it can also go into attic spaces, so maybe it can be indoors?

Yes. I hope I can find you the youtube I saw about that. Let me look . . .

Here's one -- not the one I want, but it's got good info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpvfOmPwnww

I'm out of time to look, but I saw a youtube last year where a guy mounted one of the Walmart omni-directional antennas in an attic and got over 50 channels, some from his area and some from the next town over. He was a sports nut but had to cut the cable.

The main thing you need to watch is how you ground it -- if you're using electricity to power an amplifer and don't know much about wiring, I'd pay someone to do it right so it's not a fire hazard. If you're just hanging the antenna in an attic and then plugging in a portable amplifier to a wall plug near the TV, that should be fine and not need the services of an expert. Again, though, if you have any doubts, have an expert check it. One time I helped a senior install one with a high-powered amp that caused the lights on the first floor to flicker. That's an example of a potential problem.

I don't have any worries about the plastic indoor antennas! Those aren't fire hazards.

Last edited by IowaWatcher (12/07/2017 6:18 pm)

12/07/2017 9:32 pm  #8

Many thanks IowaWatcher!  lots of interesting information there.  Very helpful!

I think my biggest issue will be the strength of the signal in a highly populated area and the inability to use a mega antenna.  Still, I'm looking around.  I don't think any of my neighbors has gone the antenna route so I'll continue to ask around.  Its a huge cost savings esp since I watch so little TV.  

12/07/2017 10:30 pm  #9

lara1 wrote:

Many thanks IowaWatcher!  lots of interesting information there.  Very helpful!

I think my biggest issue will be the strength of the signal in a highly populated area and the inability to use a mega antenna.   

This is where an amplifier can help, and some of those little indoor antennas have one: just plug it into a regular wall outlet. If you're close enough to the station, though, getting it on the right wall might be all you need to do. These new antennas are tons better at picking up weak signals than the old rabbit ears with tin foil on the ends! Yes, I did that, and it sort of worked, LOL!

In any case, it's worth experimenting -- you'll save a ton of money if you can get something to work. If not, then you might want to look into things like Roku and streaming, but that does require a fast internet connection, which I don't have.

Added: I was messing around earlier and decided to re-scan my channels . . . never mind 19! I've now got 29. Unfortunately, most of them were playing either infomercials or obscure movies from the 1950s and 60s. Then again, I imagine that I could find *something* to watch if that was my goal.

Last edited by IowaWatcher (12/07/2017 11:57 pm)

12/08/2017 2:13 pm  #10

Thanks IowaWatcher!

12/08/2017 5:13 pm  #11

lara1 wrote:

Thanks IowaWatcher!

You're welcome. Let us know what ends up working. This is a subject near and dear to my heart because a lot of seniors/etc are on a fixed income but hate giving up all TV. If I can help them pull in their local stations on an indoor antenna, it makes my day. I have a real grudge against my local cable companies. They are slime!

1/15/2019 10:25 am  #12

You should power off anything electronic before plugging anything in or unplugging anything. General rule of thumb. Not to say you can't do it, but you shouldn't.

Board footera