The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2016 12:44 pm  #1

Former Blacklist actors

Wonder if anyone has news to report on Blacklist characters (Alan Alda, guy who played Sen. Donnelly, Garrick, etc.) and what they're up to now!

As for The Great Blacklist Depression (Fall Finale til injection of new shows) WHAT IS EVERYONE WATCHING ON NETWORK TV.
Here's my Slacklist - divided into existing and new shows

Existing:

1. Marvel Agents of SHIELD - Clark Gregg is phenomenal as the team leader but this year the entire cast, writers and directors walked off a pier - running with a new character called "Ghost Rider" and diluting some of the prior stars (especially the delightfully sombre Ming-Na Wen). Agents of Shield continues to have scheduling problems (killer of continuity immo) but delivers a solid 60 minutes of meaningless and worry-free pap.

2. Criminal Minds - Thomas Gibson was dismissed from the show due to striking other employees in fits of rage (alleged, he probably plans a lawsuit against the producers/network). CM was fortunate in obtaining the services of former lead profiler Emily Prentiss - played by the amazing Paget Brewster to replace Gibson. Shamar Moore, the sex object of Garcia (the quirky computer handler) also left and was replaced by a latino sex object who's advancing quickly in terms of team trust and adoration. Not quite at Shamar levels - YET. . . . but I expect that to change early in 2017.

3. Flash - 60 minutes of pap. Could have the best effects of the quasi sci-fi Marvel or DC characters, immo. Bigger role this year for Candice Patton. The youngish supporting cast are all good and quirky in their various ways.

4. SCORPION - drama version of 'BIG BANG THEORY' but without the amazing Jim Parsons as lead genius. However, Parsons obliterates his fellow co-stars on BBT, its far more even on Scorpion - and its a delightful 60 minute package watching 20 and early 30 nerds work themselves out of mega-trouble. Jadyn Wong's "Happy" is a particular self-delight.

NEW SHOWS

1. This is Us - total unlike what I usually watch but I've been drawn into this amazing family drama. Each show is almost like a Broadway show - mostly interior shots - and the cast is super amazing - especially Sterling K Brown as Randall Pearson. Randall's father, who gave him up for adoption has returned to his life - and the actor who plays Randall's dad - can't remember his name - reminds me much of the great old black poets/musicians that shaped our society - ie. Leroi Jones, Langston Hughes, Miles Davis, Gil Scott-Heron. May actually make some sense watching stand-alone episodes, although I recommend getting into the entirety of it.

2. Timeless - standard fare Time Travel show with a twist. Two boats out there - one manned by a criminal and another by the good guys, financed by the bad guys. Makes for tense questioning of life's purpose. Abigail Spencer's understated portrayal of the female lead is stunning. Other cast members are truly good. Going back to The Alamo, Apollo 11, last night was Bonnie & Clyde Nite - they've over-delivered on some - under-delivered on Bonnie & Clyde!

3. Conviction - Hayley Atwell's newest project. Best American accent by a U.K. actor - perhaps EVER. Still stung by the failure of her amazing portrayal of Agent Carter (Marvel Universe) spinoff last season. I suspect she'll be like Julianna Margulies - just keep working projects til she finds the right one. This one might be a 1 year deal - 2 years MAX - immo.....

4. BULL - Michael Weatherly left NCIS, a totally safe haven to do this Dr. Phil spinoff show. Weatherly's legendary smirk still saves the day but this time he's leading a cast rather than being 2nd boot (to Mark Harmon). The cast is splendid - the writing is tight and for a myriad of reasons the show works. Good indictment of the legal system, too!

5. Designated Survivor - great new Kiefer Sutherland project; very timely especially in light of arrival of biggest monster ever on American political scene - TRUMPZILLA. Very impressed by the writing and the supporting cast. Good side role from Maggie Q - and she even brings her former co-star from that cancelled drama Agent Janice Lawrence into the fray - AS A BAD GUY, NO LESS. Lots of noise and shuffle - but the actual drama moves slower than Sutherland's '24'.

SHOW I MISS MOST DEAREST

1. PERSON OF INTEREST - what a 5 year sleigh ride it was. The quasi-CBS procedural that morphed into the outer limits of science fiction. Probably the greatest TV show in TV history (in this little reporter's opinion) with a super-balanced cast, exceptional writing (except for the final 3 episodes) and arguably the two greatest female characters in TV drama history (Amy Acker's Root and Sarah Shahi's Shaw)
Both Acker and Shahi will have massive problems with re-assignment into the TV world - yes, they were that good!
Acker is making a nice living on the comic con circuit - - - - travelling all over the world, coming out of her shyness and enjoying life, making tons of money NOT DOING TV and proving to the POI community just how beloved the show and its characters imbued themselves into public consciousness)
If you haven't watched this show - love human redemption arcs - friendships formed - unlikely alliances - and just hi-wire acting levels - watch it on Netflix or get the 5 yr DVD at your local market.

Red: I can only lead you to the truth. I can’t make you believe it

12/06/2016 2:42 pm  #2

Re: Former Blacklist actors

BBB - This Is Us is my favorite new show. I agree the characters of Randall and William are excellent. Did you know William, real name Ron Cephas Jones, was Dr. James Covington in the Blacklist? Every time I would watch This is Us, I'd think he looked familiar. I finally looked up his name and his photos and realized he played a Blacklister. He looks a lot different now with the beard and the gray in his hair.

On network tv, I've also been watching Timeless and Designated Survivor. They're both decent shows, but they don't captivate me like The Blacklist. As for streaming services, I highly enjoyed the Netflix Gilmore Girls revival and I'm devouring Amazon's Good Girls Revolt. 

12/06/2016 6:12 pm  #3

I still haven't been able to watch Timeless or much of anything. TV has mostly been movies running in the background and my TBL re-watch punctuated by a lot of PBS. And those have mostly been Masterpiece (Poldark, Downton Abbey and The Forsyte Saga) and whatever mystery shows they've got going. Other TV has mostly been Versailles, Hawaii Five-0, JEOPARDY! and Raiders games. LOL! I really know how to live it up out here on the West Coast!

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

12/06/2016 8:47 pm  #4

Hi everyone,
Believe it or not I don't actually watch much network TV.  I occasionally dip into Criminal Minds, NCIS, Elementary (IMO not as good as it was when Moriarity was still around), and, more recently, Timeless.  although I have to say that watching Criminal Minds has forever made me leery of talking to strangers in parking lots and the like, LOL!

I love British crime dramas - IMO no one produces classic crime drama like the UK - whether light and fun or dark and gritty.  So I also dip into Mystery on PBS and the classics also.  

I most recently finished watching The Fall, a UK serial killer/crime drama - IMO very good but not for the faint of heart - starring Gillian Anderson, streaming on Netflix.  Anderson has done some very interesting work in UK and European TV and film in the last five years or so....Next up is Chance, starring Hugh Lurie - whom I like a lot - streaming on Hulu.

Also, recently for some comic relief - as well as hiatus relief - LOL I re-watched the season of The Office in which James Spader co-starred.  I had not watched it since it aired originally.  Spader was so funny in that - in a wry, dry way - I really loved it.

BBB - POI was killed off before its time - wasn't it a dispute between the series owner and the network?
And the cast was great.  I'm particularly interested in what Cavaziel (spelling?) does next.  And Acker and Shahi were great in that, I agree...

12/06/2016 10:50 pm  #5

lara1 - I was never much of a fan of the The Office. But I did watch the episodes that Spader was in. I found his character more odd than funny. The character always did things that were surprising and totally unexpected - things Spader relishes.

I started watching The Fall last summer but only made it to the third episode. I think I got sidetracked when I started watching Stranger Things, which was outstanding. I may have to revisit The Fall later this month.

Last edited by Tuxie400 (12/06/2016 10:51 pm)

12/06/2016 11:16 pm  #6

Tuxie400 wrote:

lara1 - I was never much of a fan of the The Office. But I did watch the episodes that Spader was in. I found his character more odd than funny. The character always did things that were surprising and totally unexpected - things Spader relishes.

I started watching The Fall last summer but only made it to the third episode. I think I got sidetracked when I started watching Stranger Things, which was outstanding. I may have to revisit The Fall later this month.

Jim Caviezel's second go at TV (he did a short re-make of The Prisoner). Caviezel brings back the old lords of TV - the western characters like Chuck Connor's Rifleman, David Janssen's desperate but resourceful Dr. Richard Kimble and Richard Boone's Paladin...... he's the glue that made the show great, the most consistent character.

Shahi & Acker had the unenviable task of replacing legendary Taraji P. Henson. That's like replacing Beyoncé with Lady Gaga & Nina Simone (Acker being Simone) but they managed to pull it off.

Kevin Chapman was the 5th reel in a 4 reel movie but he made his minor character Det. Lionel Fusco work like a charm.

Michael Emerson, of course remains an acting wonder at 62.

You were partially right about why POI died before its time. The show-runners and the networks got into a violent dispute over rights, profits, production costs, etc. Very sad cuz Warner Bros. owned the thing, CBS aired it and the famed sci-fi brothers produced it. Amy Acker was actually in tears for weeks after the thing ended. Not only did they end it with a puny 13 episode season - they stopped promoting the thing on their own air or any other places for that matter. Ratings took a small nose-dive but no worse (actually better) than most shows.

Acker was actually sniped off (literally) in the 3rd last episode and so the legend of Root, a fantastic new female character died with it. But its sci-fi so anything can be reconstituted. Unfortunately it made other CBS formula dramas look like rubbish or trash.
Other than taking a friendship return role on McGyver (absolute rubbish for 4 yr olds) Amy has done a Hallmark movie outside the Root dynamic. Shahi just obtained a role as 2nd female lead in an Al Pacino flick (behind legendary Brittany Snow, so that's not a plus). Emerson is doing theatre, enjoying life and his marriage to Carrie Preston. Don't know what Jim Caviezel has planned but at not yet 50 he's got amazing potential for quality film or TV projects. Kevin Chapman, the aforementioned Fusco returned to Boston and awaits a callout for a cop or a bad guy (his specialties). Enrico Colantoni, the wonderfully under-stated villain/hero/good guy returned to Canada but is obviously on a lot of casting agent's radar.

Amy Acker just turned 40 (yesterday). Don't know if she'll ever find a better character than Root. But we're all rooting for her! (my sarcastic line for the night, don't hold it against me)

Red: I can only lead you to the truth. I can’t make you believe it

12/06/2016 11:56 pm  #7

BBB #6 - thanks for the update.  oh yes, I forgot the guy who played Fusco.  he was perfect for that role, very good.  Had some challenges in that role too.  I have to admit I'd never seen Michael Emerson (that I remember) before POI, he was so perfect in the role its hard now for me to imagine him in anything else!  haha.  Its hard to think now that they had Taraji in that role back then.  She was great, and continued to go on to other great things.

I know several people who have that show as their all time favorite.  It is in a class of its own.  Like The Blacklist, IMO, but more sci-fi-fi, as it turns out, mapped to conspiracy theories.....it certainly was unique.

12/07/2016 12:04 am  #8

Tuxie400 wrote:

Oh yes, Stranger Things!  That was excellent, I can't wait for the second series.  I also think its great when you can have an ensemble cast of kids and make it work that great but of course the "strange" story was compelling (don't want to give anything away!).

I had a friend who was really into The Fall but started to tire of it at the very end.  I think streaming is good and bad, I love how you can watch as much of something when and where you want, but some things that would not stand out so much when watched in a weekly series can become almost exaggerated when streamed.  Anyway I liked it and did not tire of it.....!

I must have a warped sense of humor haha but I thought Spader's character in The Office was absolutely hysterical, I spent my time watching it laughing out loud and falling off the couch!  LOL!  But I know a lot of people who just thought the character strange....its' always interesting to me, with any character in any show, how different people can have different perspectives when viewing the same thing.  its' great.

For the series, I actually watched the original in the UK and preferred that one - it was a bit less obvious humor, IMO.  I didn't watch the US series after around the third season, but came back to it after Carrell left and Spader joined the cast

Nice swapping thoughts with you/1

10/11/2017 3:24 am  #9

Thanks for the info here! 

11/17/2018 8:43 pm  #10

I'm looking at an episode of Bull right now.  Kaplan and Pannabaker are both on there. Kaplan is a Judge, I'm cracking up.

It's a shame you have no crackers  

Board footera