The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2019 1:29 am  #1

The Many Theories of The Blacklist

I thought it would be nice to bring this up in a different light. 

It is easy to find fault with every theory out there.  So, when I did my re-watch I kept all the ones we had discussed on this board and the other one.
But, I also had something else in mind.  What do I see objectively that the writers can use to make a 
theory work if that is what they choose to do?  How they could make a theory work that we might shrug at because there is so little pointing in that direction?  Even if it is just one thing I wanted to write down a few things to keep an open mind. 
 I am not writing about the Mother, Father, Dream, Dead or MP theory right now because we have already beat those up.
I wanted to bring up the ones we don't talk about as much.  If we see anything in the new season we can just add it.
 We may not see anything at all. 
 After looking around a bit on Google may I say again that I truly appreciate this board more than I can express. 
These are some that are out there. 

Uncle, 
 KR could have had a brother who had a different father than her.
This could explain a bit of Dom's attitude towards him.There is a picture of a boy and a girl who look very close in age (possible twins) in his apartment. 
Although it looks to be a bit older than they are in my opinion,
That pic does give the writers room to wiggle that in if they want to.

Surrogate Father, 

I heard Jennifer call Garvey her Surrogate father so much I wanted to scream.
It is a odd way in my opinion to refer to someone over and over again.
But I thought maybe Red thinks that is what he is to Liz. It is another option for them. 

2 men named Raymond Reddington, 

Very possible there are 2 men named Raymond Reddington.  This is often done when they need someone to be
in 2 places at once.  There is a reason they had him get another set of finger prints on file.
 His could have been messed up in the fire since we know he was there.

Also, there are no pictures of him according to Ressler.
There should be in the Navy yearbooks and his personnel pass that they should have on file
unless there are Not supposed to be any pics of him for that very reason.  There is however a large cart of boxes of information we see that they have about him.I did wonder if there were 2 of them and they both ended up for whatever reason at the fire and it could have caused a mess. 

Guilty Conscience,

Red often says she owes him nothing and he gave the speech about the Harbor Master's daughter.
He does seam to feel guilty about the night of the fire.

Con Man,

This whole this thing could be a big con job by him and whoever for some sort of gain.
 I am hoping they have something that no one has come up with yet that surprises everyone.

Last edited by Eastcoast (1/01/2019 1:30 am)

It's a shame you have no crackers  

1/01/2019 12:03 pm  #2

Re: The Many Theories of The Blacklist

Eastcoast - Thanks for posting these!  

Uncle theory - The uncle theory has floated about for some time.  In most incarnations, Red is Katarina's brother with Dom as the father. But t's certainly possible that Katarina's mother was married to another person and had a son in that marriage.

Surrogate father - Garvey and the Caretaker were examples of this kind of father figure. Although I always felt Red's actions and reactions about Liz were parental, I now consider the surrogate father a definite possibility. Bokenkamp has clarified that real dead RR is Liz's father, and I believe him.  So, short of Red being Katarina, the surrogate father is my next best guess.

Two men named Raymond Reddington -  For a long time, I've believed the spy concept of Identity Transfer is involved somehow in the BL mystery. Red could have been a double for RR in some of their counterintelligence operations. Think Berlin and fake Berlin. I think it's a possibility Raymond is our imposter's real first name. Real Berlin was Milos Kirchoff and fake Berlin was Milo, or Milos Kinsky.  I always thought it strange that they shared the similar first names. Also, In the Sutton Ross episode, the concept of identity transfer was employed when several white vans were dispatched with all having an RR look-alike with bags on their heads.

I can actually see a scenario where the second Raymond is a surrogate father to Liz because she is his replacement daughter for ballerina girl who died. I still believe that Flora Segunda book so prominently displayed in the cabin where Red stashed Naomi, is a clue. Flora Segunda was a replacement daughter.  I also think that Red, if not Katarina. does have guilty conscience about something to do with Katarina and Liz, and I believe that it involved grifters or con men.

Last edited by Tuxie400 (1/05/2019 8:41 am)

1/01/2019 12:21 pm  #3

It does seam like they have given all these different things as possible hints so they can pull any one of them out of the hat and make it work.  All the things you mention and more are what made me want to post something a little different.  I was wondering if parental was too obvious and they might take a different road? 

I know I have always thought either that book in his cabin was a clue or a red herring. 

1/01/2019 3:58 pm  #4

Thanks for starting this post! It's a good one. 

Ok, I just looked up a list of movies with super crazy plot twists who give away the spoiler endings but if you're not into freaky movies, you probably wouldn't want to watch them anyway. The list is interesting and includes things like people who are being drugged by the government, people who are dying and the plot is all in their heads, people who see dead people lol, people who are pursuing Russian spies but it turns out they are the russian spy, and a lot of people who find that everytime they try to find the 'answers' there's a slew of dead bodies in their wake.
Ok, weird, but there's some interesting ideas for possible TBL endings :-D
By the way, you can always just look at the titles before reading the twist endings.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/movie-spoilers-twist-endings-plot-twists

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

1/01/2019 8:49 pm  #5

Tatiana - I do love a twist ending!

1/02/2019 2:35 pm  #6

“An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

1/02/2019 2:47 pm  #7

Tuxie400 wrote:

Tatiana - I do love a twist ending!

I do too!! 

I really hope this can be something no one guessed so everyone is surprised.

1/03/2019 8:38 pm  #8

I was going to post a long list of questions before tonight's premiere, but I just haven't had any time at all to get to it!

Meanwhile, I have to say they all revolved around the One Big Question that I had after 5.22:

Of all the places he could have gone and with all of his resources for making a permanent disposal, why did Red choose to go to Dom's place and burn the bones? With Dom and Dembe present. Obviously, they know the history of the bones. But why go there to do it? As far as the relationship between Dom and Red, I tend to lean towards Oleander being like the Major, in a way, running a school for spies. Taking in the grifters, and pickpockets, and scam artists, and using their skills to make them into the best agents possible. Sort of like a Fagin for spies. Was he a double-agent? Or did he defect? Who did Dom really work for? They've never said it, but I suspect Sam knew Dom pretty well, too. Katarina said that Red and Sam knew each other and he was the only one they both trusted. I just figure that Sam also knew Dom in some way. Red said to Liz that he knew Sam most of his life and all of hers. Maybe Dom and Katarina fit in there as well. 

I like all the comments from the Johns and Spader about how the current Red had been "Raymond Reddington" longer than the real Raymond Reddington had been. And he was far more interesting than the original. I think that goes along with Red's statement that he became what they always said he was. I guess that was when he assumed the identity of RR. Maybe he was a double for the real RR at some point. Did he know Naomi as his previous identity? Maybe for a time? "You look different." "Not as different as you."

So many questions. But JB assures us that when we know who he really is and why he came into Liz's life, the story is over. And I'm still not in any hurry to know the truth just yet. It's way too much fun to watch them get there.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

1/04/2019 7:33 pm  #9

I like this HW.  There seems like a lot to yet learn about Dom. Hopefully we will see him soon.

1/05/2019 8:44 am  #10

Honey West - I was happy to see one of the posters for this season including Dom's photo. So he definitely will part of this season.  I like the idea of him being a Fagin for spies!

1/05/2019 3:45 pm  #11

Hmmmm, Tuxie400, maybe Dom is the key to getting Red out of prison??

1/09/2019 12:04 am  #12

Honey West wrote:

Hmmmm, Tuxie400, maybe Dom is the key to getting Red out of prison??

HW, that would be a fun thing to watch!

Actually,  I had a brief flashback of Smokey with his Elephants.  Whatever it is I'm sure it will be fun to watch.

1/23/2019 11:48 am  #13

I was thinking about the Con Man theory.
In Sutton Ross Red said he did not sell the Dodo to the Chinese.  Dembe said that Ross doesn't know that.

So the first RR actually had a bit of Con Man in him as a spy as spies often do.  JB said he was a pencil pusher.  Something with that doesn't sound right?

1/23/2019 11:50 am  #14

Eastcoast wrote:

I was thinking about the Con Man theory.
In Sutton Ross Red said he did not sell the Dodo to the Chinese. Dembe said that Ross doesn't know that.

So the first RR actually had a bit of Con Man in him as a spy as spies often do. JB said he was a pencil pusher. Something with that doesn't sound right?

Agreed.  This idea that the original RR was just a pencil pusher doesn't seem right to me.

1/23/2019 11:56 am  #15

I notice on other sites there are quite a few fans who still believe Red is the original RR. What about you?  Do you believe the imposter reveal rules that out, or do you question the imposter reveal as a misdirect? I tend to think the imposter reveal is true. It's late in the series. We almost didn't get this season, and I think they are dropping pieces of the puzzle now that are true. Bokenkamp has said they knew Red was an imposter from the beginning, and he even wanted to reveal it at the end of Season 1 but was dissuaded by others. What he's saying in interviews now does not seem slippery to me like in the past. I didn't buy the other misdirects: Liz's death, Kirk saying, "A am your father"  or the dna report showing Red was Liz's dad to be real.  But I did buy the imposter reveal.

But even having said I believe the reveal, I see a slim chance that the tooth with RR's DNA could have been implanted as Red's exit strategy.  Why? Teeth have been a recurring plot point in the series.
The Stewmaker kept as trophies single teeth in babyfood jars.
There was a whole closet of dentures and teeth in The Alchemist.
Berlin extracted Naomi's tooth in early Season 2
Quon Zhang was replacing the teeth of dead Chinese bride.
Red and Samar threaten to pull the Cabal guy's teeth in Season 2
Dembe has a transmitter embedded in his teeth in The Kilgannon Corporation.

1/26/2019 1:45 am  #16

Tuxie,  For now, I think he is an imposter.  Things can change in this show.  He still sounds a bit like a slippery fish to me.  Lol.  He will not answer most questions direct.  I noticed he will say, 'well, let me say this' or 'let me put it this way'. 
JB also told us if we knew who was in the suitcase the show would be over.  

We have not seen a DNA test.  I still wonder if the bones were switched at some point.  As soon as Pete said a tooth, I didn't know if I should believe him because of all the stuff we saw about planting DNA in other people in season 1.   Not to mention that I hit the rewind button about 5 times and I did Not see a single tooth missing from that skull.  That also made me wonder if they were switched.   
And yes, I think you are right that teeth seam to be a reoccurring thing in this show. 

1/26/2019 10:04 am  #17

Eastcoast - I don't remember Bokenkamp saying if we knew who was in the suitcase, the show would be over. Do you remember when he said that?

That's funny about you rewinding so many times to see where the tooth was missing from the skeleton! I don't think the show will ever show us the CODIS results.

1/26/2019 11:20 am  #18

Tuxie, I just remember it was after the season 4 finale in one of the interviews. 
When I get back from RL later, I will poke around.

I recently lost a huge list of notes!   

1/26/2019 11:41 am  #19

Eastcoast - I forget a lot of things I once knew about this show. And I have so many notebooks on it, it's very hard for me to back and find things. Six years is a long time to research and take notes on one show. LOL

1/26/2019 1:59 pm  #20

Eastcoast wrote:

Tuxie,  For now, I think he is an imposter.  Things can change in this show.  He still sounds a bit like a slippery fish to me.  Lol.  He will not answer most questions direct.  I noticed he will say, 'well, let me say this' or 'let me put it this way'. 
JB also told us if we knew who was in the suitcase the show would be over.  

I just want to be certain, you are referring to the person we know as Raymond Reddington?

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

Board footera