The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2018 12:50 pm  #1

Body parts

We've talked before about how many times body parts play a role in the Blacklist. As I've been rewatching, I've been taking note of these dismembered parts. The first one occurred in Wujing, Episode 1.04. It's the one lara1 is always trying to remind me about. Some guys on motorcycles cut a guy's had off. Then later you see Wujing's tech expert take the hand out of a plastic bag and use the thumbprint to gain access to some online information. Next in The Stewmaker, Stanley Kornish takes a tooth as a trophy from each of his victims and preserves it in a Baby Food jar. He has quite a large collection at this cabin. So body parts have been featured as plot points since early in the series.

4/20/2018 5:17 pm  #2

Re: Body parts

Tuxie400 - agree.  What about the pilot?  Zamani?  he was sick, was it from chemical or biological warfare on his village, his family was killed, the children were dying.  But did they mention anything in particular or in the photos on the task force wall?  I cannot recall.

4/20/2018 5:50 pm  #3

lara1 - There's no specific dialog or visuals of body parts in the pilot. Zamani was dying from the Nipah virus. Of course, if the bomb strapped to Beth had gone off, there would have been a lot of body parts at the zoo.  I don't think Zamani was in his village when the village was bombed to destroy a chemical weapons plant.and his children were poisoned. He was popping pills all the time though, in the middle of torturing Tom and later, while talking to Red.

Last edited by Tuxie400 (4/20/2018 6:02 pm)

4/20/2018 11:27 pm  #4

Some thoughts about eyes in BL:
Artificial Eyes - The first appearance of artificial eyes was in Season 2's Mombassa Cartel. There is a close-up of giant/child Matthew putting an artificial eye in a human corpse as he practices his taxidermy hobby. All the artificial eye stuff started with writer Daniel Knauf. There was a lot of focusing on the glassy eyes in preserved corpses sitting around the campfire in that episode. A song used with that segment contains the expression "turning a blind eye."  Matthew was a secret child and never publicly acknowledged by his father.

Later in Season 2 we get bleeding eyes with the murdered Rev. Kenyon, who liked child brides and abandoning boys. Also courtesy of Dan Knauf. At the end of Season 2, Adropov;s individualized virus also caused bleeding from the eyes for a senator and his son. It's interesting that the senator never publicly acknowledged his son.

Season 4 opens with Esteban, in which we get treated to a blind man taking his artificial eyes out of their sockets. Again the imagery goes along with the idea of turning a blind eye to torture and abuse. At the end of Season 4, Kaplan surgically removes a man's eye to get access to records on Red's immunity agreements. She is literally using the eye to expose Red's method of avoiding prosecution. 

Season 5 has Navarro's artificial eye with the tracking device - an eye that does more than a real one can. Then we get the sewn shut and bleeding eyes of the Capricorn Killer. Since the tongue was sliced through also, the message seems to be see no evil, speak no evil.

4/21/2018 12:57 am  #5

Tuxie,  I am sure there is something in season 3 if we look for it. This is a good list. 

It's a shame you have no crackers  

4/21/2018 8:30 am  #6

Eastcoast - I did have something down for Season 3, but it wasn't an actual body-part type eye. The "eyes" In Season 3 were the electronic surveillance kind. The first was in Drexel with the rat farm. The other was the "eye in the sky" with Halcyon's satellite surveillance in several episodes. That parallels Season 1 with the Keen apartment being under surveillance,

Last edited by Tuxie400 (4/21/2018 10:41 am)

4/21/2018 9:21 am  #7

The 'ayes' have it ;-)

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

4/21/2018 11:09 pm  #8

I was thinking in season 3 there is The Djinn for body parts (he had something removed) and I am not sure of The Vehm, but I thought something was cut out of one of them but I cant stand watching that and I had turn my head when it comes up. The Caretaker is cutting people open and taking out canisters not body parts but it is cutting open a body and taking something out. 

4/21/2018 11:11 pm  #9

In Sir Crispin Crandall they were cutting off thumbs. 

4/22/2018 12:28 pm  #10

Eastcoast - You are right about Season 3. At the beginning of the Djinn, a client dressed in scrubs has used a marker to denote where all the body organs are. He plans on carving his son's drug dealer into parts and eating them. Quite gruesome. And of course, the whole reason the Djinn was extracting revenge on the father was because he had removed the son's body part against his will. In Crispin Crandall Red severs the thumbs of Aldous Halmy so he can access the Director's bank lock box

Also in Season 3, at the beginning of The Director Conclusion, Red walks through a meat locker with the frozen body parts of animals hanging on hooks.

Members of The Vehm had been castrated, much like The Djinn, but for a different reason.

Last edited by Tuxie400 (4/22/2018 6:17 pm)

4/22/2018 1:00 pm  #11

Out of many, one. 

Somehow they assembled bits and pieces of Vanessa Cruz from video and prints, were able to assemble them together, and came up with and actual image of her face and a partial palm? or thumb print. 

In the Alchemist, the 'hacktivist' hires basket weavers to re-assemble shredded documents to make them whole - out of many, one. I know it's not human body parts, but it reminded me of this concept.

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

4/22/2018 1:18 pm  #12

Back to Season 1 body parts: it's in Mako Tanida when we get the first body part in a gift box. I always thought Red's gift to Ressler of Tanida's head in a box was a nod to the movie Seven.  That was the first of many boxes with body parts to come in Season 2. At the end of the season Berlin tells of being imprisoned and receiving packages with pieces of his daughter for several years.

The Berlin episodes dealt with Berlin cutting off his own hand. This plot point calls  the severed hand in the Wujing episode at the beginning of the season.

Other body parts and pieces removed in Season 1:

- Milton Bobbit's nose
- The spider tattoo from the neck of Jesse, who Red has following Tom. Tom sends the piece of skin to Red as a gift and message.

And then there was Tom's thumb, broken but not removed by Liz during her interrogation of Mr. Spy Husband.

Last edited by Tuxie400 (4/22/2018 1:46 pm)

4/22/2018 1:37 pm  #13

Season 2 Body parts
These got the gift box treatment:
Berlin sent Carla's finger and tooth to Red in gift boxes.
Red sent the Jasper's tongue to the Director in an ornate wooden box with carved snakes on top.

Other examples:
Organs being harvested in the Dr. James Covington episode.
The Deer Hunter carves the liver out his victims and takes a ceremonial bite.
In The Longevity Initiative Elias threatens to blood eagle Tom: "We cut the skin along the spine - pull the lungs out through the ribs and watch them flutter liek bloodstained wings."

4/22/2018 1:48 pm  #14

Tatiana - I can see how talking about parts would make you think about taking parts to the whole.

4/22/2018 3:54 pm  #15

Tuxie, thank you for spelling it out. I found the Djinn and Vehm so disgusting I have to say the minimum and hope everyone remembers the episode enough to fill it in.
It's weird, as a nurse blood did not bother me at all.  I even worked a short time in the OR and loved it.  But fake stuff on TV really grosses me out?

4/22/2018 6:43 pm  #16

Eastcoast, I think it's because there's very sick, cruel, sometimes torture involved, especially with those episodes, so I would think it's not so much the blood as it is the psychological evil that's going on.
I have to either close my eyes or fast forward on those parts. It's so disturbing.

4/23/2018 10:49 pm  #17

You are probably right. I get very disturbed at what people can do to one another. 

4/25/2018 4:24 pm  #18

As lara1 reminded me, the man from Johannesburg wanted Red's head in a box after Yabari did his proxy bidding and won Red in the T. Earl King and Sons auction.

Board footera