The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2018 2:43 pm  #1

James Spader on Colbert Tues. 4/10

I think the last time he was on one of these non-NBC late shows was when he was promoting Ultron.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

4/10/2018 5:29 pm  #2

Re: James Spader on Colbert Tues. 4/10

I'm excited to see him. he's always so entertaining in interviews.  I can't wait to see what story he tells tonight. 

4/11/2018 6:26 am  #3

This interview was painful to watch.  It was so awkward.  Colbert tried to do the open ended conversation interviewing that he other late show hosts do and it flopped.  There was no chemistry between him and James, who was constantly sipping his water and pointed out the Blacklist employee in he audience and had no interesting story to discuss.  Colbert probably would have been better off using the questions and allowing conversations to flow from there.

4/11/2018 9:01 am  #4

I agree, Brittany. That Colbert would even think he could get a conversation going about those old "coming of age" movies was ridiculous. JS clearly didn’t care to talk about them, they were a job not a lifestyle. Plus Colbert always trying to insert himself and his old acting career into the conversation was truly awkward and the conversation went nowhere. I much prefer Fallon as interviewer because he knows how to just let the conversation flow and gets those great Spader stories as a result. Colbert wasted the moment.

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

4/11/2018 9:08 am  #5

Well, I just erased my comment because it was so negative. Suffice it to say, it's was disappointing to say the least.
Good for James for giving attention to Violet who keeps him on track with The Blacklist. She's one of those people who are integral to success but go unrecognized. Kudos to James, who time and again shows he's a stand-up kind of man. :-)

Last edited by Tatiana (4/11/2018 9:11 am)

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

4/11/2018 9:29 am  #6

I just watched the segment and really enjoyed it. I laughed out loud several times. James was a delight. I loved it when he rubbed the hair on the Steph character's head and threw away Colbert's card. Obviously he didn't want to talk about his old movies. It was worth watching to me to see Spader laugh and to see his expressions. 

Last edited by Tuxie400 (4/11/2018 9:30 am)

4/11/2018 9:41 am  #7

Yes I was glad he gave Violet credit for her job.  PAs have to put up with some horrible people I’m sure.  I don’t know how Colbert normally interviews but Fallon and Spader have better chemistry and Fallon does better with the unstructured interview . I wondered how many times James had to say he didn’t care about his days in those coming of age movies and Colbert still didn’t stop.  It sounds like there wasn’t good pre interview planning to see what James might want to discuss.

4/11/2018 9:45 am  #8

I did chuckle over his mother’s nicknames for him.  Butterscotch poodle was a hoot. And I thought Jamesy was adorable.

Last edited by Brittany (4/11/2018 9:45 am)

4/11/2018 9:46 am  #9

James has talked about his mother calling him Butterscotch Poodle before. But Jamesy is a new one.

4/11/2018 11:00 am  #10

I thought the interview was awkward and went nowhere.  Colbert frequently shows old photos of guests, in roles way back when and so forth, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I agree that James telegraphed in several ways that it wasn't a topic he wanted to spend time on, at least to me it seemed that way. And the "questions" seemed to maybe be about that too.

I had hopes for this interview, esp as James entered, - as the first time Colbert interviewed James, a few years back, it also was awkward.  But the Late Show gig had just started and I put it down to the show still trying to find its rhythm.  His questions were, to me, a bit confrontational and got little response from James, who didn't bite.

It was great to see James and I agree it was wonderful of him to call attention to the hard work that his PA does.   But I also agree it was a wasted opportunity.

4/11/2018 6:51 pm  #11

Tuxie400 wrote:

James has talked about his mother calling him Butterscotch Poodle before. But Jamesy is a new one.

Yes, that was a new one for me Tuxie.  The whole interview looked like it was a malfunction. 

It's a shame you have no crackers  

4/12/2018 9:37 am  #12

For those of you who didn't catch it, yesterday Aly posted an unaired segment from the Colbert interview - ou need to scroll down a bit because Aly has posted a lot  since that post.  

4/12/2018 11:23 pm  #13

Well, that would explain why JS seemed a little out of sorts. Ouch.

4/18/2018 9:49 am  #14

In the column of “miscellaneous”, I watched “pretty in pink”. for the first time the other day - those films were never my thing - anyway I now understand why James called his character an expletive when shown the photo during the interview.  Lol.   And why he said he never had that experience. 😊. Anyway it was interesting to see James’ performance there.  ( I became a fan with his other films).

4/18/2018 11:01 am  #15

Regarding, Pretty in Pink, Steph was definitely an arrogant a--hole. But Spader's portrayal of Steph made him the most interesting character in the movie.

4/18/2018 12:27 pm  #16

Tuxie400 - yes agree.  Even back then you could see it.  

Board footera