The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2018 5:27 pm  #1

Christmas Eve 1990

Whether it's true or not, we have a story told by two different people, the FBI and Red, about Christmas Eve when Red runs out of gas and abandons his vehicle. The FBI says Red abandoned his wife and daughter. Red tells a different story:

I ran out of gas. I was so excited to get home I didn't even bother to look. My head was just...I ran out of gas. It was Christmas Eve. I pulled off to the side of the road, seemed like it'd been snowing for days. No Traffic. No cars to come help. Just me and a car full of gifts. It was more than 20 years ago. I must have walked four miles. Five, maybe. It was so still. Just cold and white. The whole time, all I could think about was them in our house. the warm light in the windows. The smoke from the chimney. The sound of my daughter at the piano. The smell of the tree, and the fire, oyster stew on the stove. I was so upset to think that I'd ruined Christmas for them, being late, leaving the gifts in the car. But the closer I got, the more I realized how funny the whole thing was. How much they'd love the story. Daddy running out of gas. How every Christmas they'd get such joy from telling that story at my expense. And then finally, I got there. I walked...I walked through the door. And there was just blood. All I saw was blood. All there was, was blood. I can...I can still smell the nape of her neck. Feel her little...fingers on my cheek. Her whisper in my ear." 

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

3/20/2018 5:49 pm  #2

Re: Christmas Eve 1990

I think something happened I just don't think they put it in the report. It just wasn't public knowledge. Something was covered up and probably meant to scare him into giving back the fulcrum.

It's a shame you have no crackers  

3/21/2018 11:03 am  #3

Tatiana - We don't know if those were the same Christmas Eves. The FBI story is the 1990 version. Liz's fire is the 1989 version. Did the Madeline Pratt story predate both, and is it even true? I suspect part of it is true, but not all. Red did refer to this story to Maddie in T. Earl King as his "gambit."

What strikes me as I reread the Pratt story is "Her whisper in my ear."  This mysterious "whisper in the ear" parallel has been repeated multiple times in the series:
Red to Seth, the NSA guy buried alive by the Courier: contents unknown
Red to Henry of the stroganoff dinner in The Good Samaritan: "I know what you've done."
Red to Marcus Caliguiri: "You were right, Marcus. I am the informant. Tell our dear friends in Hell to be patient. I'll be along soon."
Red to Kirk in Adrian Shaw, Pt. 2, contents unknown.
Katarina to Kaplan in Requiem after the fire, contents unknown, presumably about what Masha did, or what was done to her. 

3/21/2018 12:09 pm  #4

I am glad you brought that up Tuxie, I was wondering if there are 2  Christmas eves they are talking about?  I only wondered that because I was trying to think of anything they think we would not expect and that came to mind. 

3/21/2018 1:34 pm  #5

Tuxie400 - also the whisper from Tom to Liz when she shoots him....interesting parallels you have mentioned

And lets not forget the "whisper" "behind you!" to Red in the bathroom when he retraces his steps in the hotel (Cape May).

Last edited by lara1 (3/21/2018 1:35 pm)

3/21/2018 2:28 pm  #6

lara1 - I had forgotten about Tom whispering in Liz's ear in Berlin II. And I found several instances of both Liz and Tom whispering to themselves in Season 1. Also in season 1 there was a lot of talk with Nikos about people whispering about Red. This quote in particular feeds right into you favorite theory:

Red told Nikos: "These friends you mention, the ones whispering in the shadows tell them from me, "Shut the hell up.

3/21/2018 2:34 pm  #7

Tuxie400 - yes, interesting - and the way the scene was filmed with Liz in Ruin, out in the woods chopping wood with an axe, wearing the blue "Red" wool cap.  We hear a kind of disembodied voice, which sounds like a voice in Liz's head, then it cuts to her talking to the physical therapist.  That just stuck with me for some reason.....it did remind me of Red hearing the voice in Cape May.

3/21/2018 10:23 pm  #8

That has been bugging me about Tom telling her that her father was alive and then the writers never filled that in.  I know had it on my old list of questions in my notes so I put it on the questions here today because I think if they are going to have someone's dying words be something of that nature then they need to take care of that. 

3/21/2018 10:29 pm  #9

lara1, I think that was because of it being a flashback. 

3/21/2018 10:35 pm  #10

Eastcoast, for some reason, I thought two things about Tom saying your father is alive 1) He was thinking of Alexander Kirk, or 2) Liz was testing Reddington

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

3/21/2018 10:54 pm  #11

I wondered that too. If that is true then they should have put it in the script!  We did see Tom saying something to her. So I thought that was it. 

Board footera