The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2017 8:25 pm  #1

Daniel Cerone: Verifies continuity errors and answers questions

Daniel Cerone‏ @DanielVCeroneFollo
Q: Why does Katarina call him Alexander to Kate but Constantin in her diary? A: Good catch. Continuity error. On me. @NBCBlacklist 

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

5/25/2017 8:27 pm  #2

Re: Daniel Cerone: Verifies continuity errors and answers questions

Daniel Cerone‏ @DanielVCeroneFollowing
 Q: Given their backstory, how did Mr. Kaplan and Red ever grow close?
A: Great question and it will be answered in series. @NBCBlacklist

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

5/25/2017 8:29 pm  #3

For questions regarding house fire, please be patient. That story will continue to evolve but be explained.

5/25/2017 8:29 pm  #4

Q: Why didn't Masha have scar after fire? A: Our bad. We planned for but on the day (as often happens) it was overlooked.

5/25/2017 8:30 pm  #5

Q: Who was Russian man Katarina killed? A: Random adversary. Main purpose was to reveal to Kate that Katarina was a spy.

5/25/2017 8:31 pm  #6

6. Q: Who is man driving Kate to Katarina's? Is it Red? A: No. Random driver.

5/25/2017 8:32 pm  #7

Q: Were Kaplan's memories distorted in the episode due to gunshot wound to head? A: No. This is Kaplan's true past.

5/25/2017 8:33 pm  #8

3. Q: Why did we retcon series? A: We always knew this was Kaplan's backstory and planned for it.

I'll put a finer point on that. When I joined BL 2 seasons ago this backstory was told to me. "Always" in my history on show.

5/25/2017 8:36 pm  #9

10. Q: Is Kate's dad still alive? A: Honestly, we haven't discussed that. Right now we don't have further story plans for him.

5/25/2017 8:37 pm  #10

Q: Who cast @AdlerJo as young Kaplan? A: Jon Bokenkamp. Joanna auditioned for diff role months ago and was a spot-on Kaplan @NBCBlacklist

5/25/2017 8:42 pm  #11

Tatiana - Thanks so much for posting this! I appreciate Daniel Cerone's honesty about the continuity errors. I can't believe they botched the part about Masha's scar though. Cerone has only been on the writing/producing team for two years, but someone else should have caught the Alexander and Masha's scar. 

It sounds like we'll see Mr. Kaplan again if the series is going to explain how Red and Kaplan grew close.

5/25/2017 8:45 pm  #12

Thanks from me as well, Tatiana! That helps my pondering a bit.

5/25/2017 8:48 pm  #13

Tuxie400 wrote:

Tatiana - Thanks so much for posting this! I appreciate Daniel Cerone's honesty about the continuity errors. I can't believe they botched the part about Masha's scar though. Cerone has only been on the writing/producing team for two years, but someone else should have caught the Alexander and Masha's scar. 

It sounds like we'll see Mr. Kaplan again if the series is going to explain how Red and Kaplan grew close.

Tuxie - I just roll my eyes that they 'somehow' forgot about Masha's scar on fire night!!! Do they not read fan blogs????  You could write a PhD dissertation on Liz's scar! 
Not that it's Daniel's fault because he just got on board two years ago, but still... And I have to admit, I have a pet peeve about the term 'my bad'. It just seems so disingenuous. If you make a mistake like that, strike your breast and intone: 'mea culpa'!!

End of rant ;-)

5/25/2017 8:50 pm  #14

This is great! Many thanks to you and to Daniel!!

"I'm happy you're happy. Eat your pie."

5/25/2017 8:51 pm  #15

Ah ha! He confirms a lot of what we wondered about as being continuity errors. So much to keep track of on this show, it's a wonder there aren't more!

Good, some Kate flashbacks maybe? She's too good of a character to not revisit her via flashback, at the very least.

Alexander/Constantin - big oops!

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

5/25/2017 9:03 pm  #16

Thanks Tatiana, this is great.  Was this part of a live tweeting session or just a bunch of random questions on the topic?

On the scar, it sounds to me like it was an oops on the day of filming.  At least it wasn't very obvious as her wrist was mainly covered.

So I guess the newspaper error was an oops as well.  I can't remember what else we picked up in that episode, but it sounds like anything that just sounded plain wrong in the details were not down to Kaplan's memory but production continuity errors.

I think the only thing left is the Kate taking Masha to Sam's, which differs from what Red said.  However that may have been an attempt to disguise what, when, how and where that all happened.

5/26/2017 2:05 pm  #17

As for the writers and producers reading boards and blogs, I suspect they are too busy for that, but I always try to be careful to write constructive criticism in case they are reading. It is a difficult show to write for! I certainly don't have the background to do it.

That said, there really needs to be a designated person (or several) checking scripts and production for continuity errors. It doesn't matter for mindless comedies, but The Blacklist has thoughtful writing/production and would benefit from more attention to continuity errors.

Last edited by IowaWatcher (5/26/2017 2:06 pm)

5/26/2017 10:04 pm  #18

Thanks so much for this, Tatiana!  And many thanks to Daniel Cerone!  In the grand scheme of things, with as many people as there are filtering on and off of all the different episodes, these all seem like minor details.  Figure the overall story is a lot like Frankenstein's Monster--you constantly have people running in, scrambling to stitch things together, for what will work in the immediate now; I can only imagine just how brutal some of those deadlines are!  On top of that, I imagine there's a bit of the game "telephone" going on, too, in the sense that any given starting point gets passed down the line, and consistently has elements added and removed to it.  I get a headache just thinking about having a story that must fit in the context of an overall pre-existing story--and then you don't even necessarily have control over that, as it moves along.  Gah!  The frustration, I'm sure, ensues!  (Although I do think it would be GREAT fun to write a Blacklist novel.  ::coughs::would do so at a highly economical cost::coughs:: )

That being said, many thanks to the cast and crew for their honesty.  I've had a lot of jobs over the years that depend heavily on details--and the bottom line is, accidents sometimes occur, and mistakes do happen.  I just don't have to worry about the whole world gasping if I make an oversight.  THANK GOODNESS.  It's embarrassing enough, when just one person points out a mistake.  ^-^

Board footera