The Blacklist Refugees

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2017 11:04 pm  #1

Guidelines for Bios/Introductions

We're so glad you've decided to join our little group of Blacklist refugees! If you have not already, please read the rules and guidelines of this board. We closely monitor activity on this site. We will, if necessary, edit or delete posts without notice if they are in violation of our guidelines.

We welcome you and, if you are so inclined, would love to hear a little of your bio/introduction. Keep in mind this is a public post. Anyone can see this discussion board. In general, we are anonymous with one another but share small bits of our background as it relates to The Blacklist.

Once again, we are glad you're here!

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

5/19/2017 11:34 pm  #2

Re: Guidelines for Bios/Introductions

I will start with a brief intro for new members' benefit. (although that's purely up to them to decide if it's beneficial or not!) Obviously, I am from California. In my deep dark past I was a dues-paying member of the Hollywood makeup union, specializing in theater, but with some film and TV work mixed in there. That's the main "expertise" that I bring to the table. Some insights into being part of the backstage crew and creating special makeup effects and props.

I joined the old Blacklist Support Group back around Tom Connolly, I think. I can get serious with the discussions, but my old goal used to be to get Tabasko to spit out her Cheerios the next morning with my comments, which were always about the last to be posted the night of the episode. So while I take TBL somewhat seriously, I also like to have fun with it (but never at the expense of the production company and the awesome work they do!) . And I think that's what always drew me into the show, Red's irreverence on top of everything else.

I also grew up watching a lot of spy and cop shows and movies. I love Hitchcock and James Bond films. And The Man from UNCLE, and The Avengers, and I even remember (barely) watching Honey West. I wanted a pet ocelot like she had! His name was Bruce.

Last edited by Honey West (5/19/2017 11:39 pm)

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

5/21/2017 5:09 pm  #3

Hi! JackPow here. I'm from NYC and was kind of late in discovering The Blacklist. (After season 2, I believe) I watched the pilot on Netflix and was hooked.
Personally, I'm a natural born redhead. I throw that in because of my kinda/sorta leaning toward the wacky Redarina theory and how as someone who was always nicknamed "Red" my entire life and then seeing that the showrunners chose, of all hair colors, a redhaired actress to play Katarina, it made me wonder "hmm....could the writers be having a little fun with this? Like hidden in plain sight?" But enough of that theory for now.
Prior to (and in addition to) that theory, I sort of figured the whole show was about Red being Liz's father who, perhaps along with Katarina, is now just trying to reunite with the daughter they had to live apart from decades ago. So they can now live in peace as a family...but not without ridding the world of the big bads first. Maybe....who knows....haha. I do certainly get a headache from analyzing this show! But it's part of the fun, of course. It's what keeps me hooked!
I do feel that every episode of The Blacklist serves a purpose to introduce concepts that will all fit together in the end to make the final puzzle make sense to the viewers. There is a method to the writers' madness: DNA changing, plastic surgery, imposters, warrior genes, etc, etc...it's all part of the incredible Blacklist world.
I'm also a mother and a full time nanny. So the Kaplan being Masha's nanny thing had always been in my mind as a possibility from a long while back.
I'm happy to finally be joining The Blacklist Refugees! I've been quietly following along since the older forum. I love how everyone is so friendly here. Most of all, I enjoy reading everyone's comments!
My favorite character is of course Red. Personally, as a New York City girl, I also love the Red Reddington lifestyle of fine dining, ballet, orchestra, classical music, dressing well, stuffy interior decor.....though on a normal persons budget...and without the crime! 

5/27/2017 2:44 am  #4

Hi!  I'm deadskie13, and I like movies and music and books a lot.  I also enjoy writing and drawing, and making stuff up.  I'm not a big fan of reality, and so if I find even the slightest chance to ditch it, I do; I believe imagination can save you when all else fails.  I think dogs are the best things, ever.  I fly kites, sometimes.  I fall to pieces, sometimes.  I straighten my pigtails, snap goggles into place, and narrow my eyes.  I'm a severe introvert, who fancies themselves an octopus, scurrying from one hiding spot to another.  

While out-and-about, I talk about as much as Dembe, and I'm as socially awkward as Aram.  Red is my second favorite character of all time (the first, is BeetleJuice).  I was a little late making my way to The Blacklist--I started watching season one, when they had already wrapped up season two.  I found myself leaning forward, and then sliding back; I sat up straight and paid attention.  I stood up sometimes, too, and subconsciously made my way in front of the television, hands over mouth, eyes wide open.  I loved it.  I loved it.  And then the very last scene of the second season took place, and I was doomed--I didn't just love the show, I was in love with it.  And that's how the madness began.  ^-^ 

5/29/2017 2:38 pm  #5

deadskie13 wrote:

While out-and-about, I talk about as much as Dembe, and I'm as socially awkward as Aram.   

What a great line! I love it!

5/29/2017 9:34 pm  #6

I just finished writing a grant proposal so my creative juices are drained, at least I haven't been doing bookwork... so heads up!

My mother was a great influence on me and she LOVED books and film. She gave me beautiful, illustrated, classic fairy tale books, that I devoured at an early age, then Greek mythology (now there's some exciting stories with very ewwwww! endings). Then came French existentialism in my high school years (not a good mix with adolescence... who am I, why am I here, what should I be doing?)

Along came college and naturally I became a literature major. That's when I took film as literature and even a class on Russian history. My mother had also introduced film as literature at the high school level so we ravenously consumed all sorts of film: Charlie Chaplin, Orson Wells, Frank Capra, Sergei Eisenstein, Francois Truffaut, Alfred Hitchcock, Ingmar Bergman, Akira Kurosawa, etc....and documentaries, especially of the Holocaust. I haven't been to the Holocaust museum, but I watched hours of it and I believe this had a significant effect on my formation. There was a fantastic theatre in downtown Chicago on Fullerton called Film Facets Media, or something like that, and they were doing indies before people knew what indies were. 

And we went to the ballet, lots. To the Chicago Art Institute, and Buckingham Fountain. Chicago is truly an amazing place for architecture. While I've never travelled outside of the U.S., I think Chicago boasts some of the most diverse architecture of any major city. 

I lived in New York for a while when I was in sales and loved it. But I moved back to the midwest, had a great career, travelled extensively, then settled down at the ripe old age of 41 when I finally met my prince. We moved back to his family home in rural Wisconsin and I've seen a completely different side of life. I enjoy a bucolic view when I drive my kids to school. The closest Starbucks is 30 minutes away. 

So now I'm a full-time mom, volunteer, house keeper, human to three cats. I bake and decorate cupcakes for fundraisers. I chaperone field trips. I read a lot. And I spend a lot of time on the internet. It's likely we'll move back closer to the city in a year. I suspect my imagination will be ignited once again, but for now, it's not such a bad life to grow old and have a family. 

Last edited by Tatiana (5/29/2017 9:35 pm)

"I could tell you how to win a marathon, but you're assuming it's a 26.2 mile race. It's not. It's a 6.2 mile race that begins at mile 20." Raymond Reddington

9/10/2017 9:46 pm  #7

Hi! I'm Brittany. I live in Indiana and have been a Blacklist fan since day 1 (I can't pass up James Spader in anything), but for some reason am a Johnny-come-lately to the internet fandom crowd.  I've been on some of the Facebook groups, but randomly found this board and thought it looked fascinating!  I'm a therapist so I watch the Blacklist list through a heavily psychological lens and am always interested in the motivations and behaviors that drive the relationships in the show.  I'm excited to talk to everyone as Season 5 premieres!

9/10/2017 10:25 pm  #8

Welcome Brittany! We look forward to your joining in on the discussions. I'm a Hoosier by birth but migrated to Tennessee about 30 years ago.

9/10/2017 11:22 pm  #9

Hi Brittany! So glad you found us. We're a small group, but we are pretty active. We talk a lot about symbols, and patterns, and psychological motives... ! I really look forward to reading your comments as well. You've come to the right place :-)

9/11/2017 10:03 am  #10

Hello there Brittney!  Welcome to the board where just about any scenario someone could imagine is found! 
We enjoy reading all the different ideas everyone has.

As Tatiana said, you are in the right place!

It's a shame you have no crackers  

9/11/2017 10:06 am  #11

Welcome to the group, Brittany! If you like to look at character motivations and such, then this is the place. We love to try to figure these fictional people out!

“I am exactly who I am. And I can assure you, I’m a far more interesting Raymond Reddington than Raymond Reddington ever was."

9/13/2017 10:18 am  #12

Looks like there are a lot of Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers here! Maybe we can hang outside The Tastee Freeze? 

9/13/2017 11:56 am  #13

As long as I don't have to change my name to Diane. ;)

9/13/2017 9:36 pm  #14

Glad someone got the reference 

Brittany wrote:

As long as I don't have to change my name to Diane. ;)

4/08/2018 8:15 pm  #15

My cat is from Columbus, IN. Does that count?

I was searching for Maine coons online when I lived in Columbus, Ohio, and I forgot to put the
state in the search, and up popped this photo of a cat that said loudly (in cat language), "Come and get me!"
So I did. And now we live in Des Moines, Iowa because a lot of my relatives moved to Twin Cities and I wanted to be closer, but MN is too cold for me!

I was on the last board and have been a Blacklist fan since the pilot.

I don't bring a lot of brainpower to the discussions because I get worn out from work, but I'm
"Iowa Nice" and always try hard to express my opinions in a kind way.

4/08/2018 11:14 pm  #16

IowaWatcher wrote:

My cat is from Columbus, IN. Does that count?

I was searching for Maine coons online when I lived in Columbus, Ohio, and I forgot to put the
state in the search, and up popped this photo of a cat that said loudly (in cat language), "Come and get me!"
So I did. And now we live in Des Moines, Iowa because a lot of my relatives moved to Twin Cities and I wanted to be closer, but MN is too cold for me!

I was on the last board and have been a Blacklist fan since the pilot.

I don't bring a lot of brainpower to the discussions because I get worn out from work, but I'm
"Iowa Nice" and always try hard to express my opinions in a kind way.

So good to see you, IowaWatcher! Glad you're here. Lots to talk about with The Blacklist, especially because their last year is this year or next. Please do share thoughts anytime!

9/14/2018 7:54 am  #17

(Sorry I haven't been around--I've spent the better part of the past five months house hunting.  Aaand, since I don't have excessive funds to work with, that means I've to do a lot of running around with next-to-no notice.  But FINALLY!  I'm in the process of purchasing my first house close to the end of October!  After that, the next step is to acquire my next partner-in-crime/puppy dog, and then delving back into that which is The Blacklist!  

P.S. I found out that the seller accepted my bid on September 12th--the same day season five dropped on Netflix.  Sometimes you get a really good day!)  ^-^

9/14/2018 2:05 pm  #18

Oh Deadskie that is so wonderful!!! 

Congratulations on the house! How exciting. I purchased two homes before I met my husband and settled down, lol! As a single woman, it was really empowering!

And a puppy dog, how sweet! Do you have a preference for breed or are you a rescue animal pet lover?

We can't go to the shelter anymore because we keep adopting animals...yikes!

Good to hear from you!

9/14/2018 11:02 pm  #19

Congratulations, deadskie13! That’s wonderful and it’s great to hear from you!

9/17/2018 10:45 pm  #20

Hi, Tatiana!  

My love was a little white 10 lb Jack Russell, who almost made it to 17 years.  I catch glimpses of her everywhere, all the time, and I miss her in a horrific black hole kind of aching kind of way.  So, to be fair to this next pup, I'd like something a little different--although I do leave the final choice up to Sadie.  I figure she'll point me in the right direction, as she's never lead me wrong--and I don't imagine such things would change, just because she's dancing in the atmosphere these days.

So far my rough guidelines are:  2-5 years old, up to 40 lbs--and preferably with a snoot, and preferably a girl--although the last two items are negotiable.  ^-^  There's a couple of local no-kill shelters that are amazing, so I'm going to be utilizing one of them.  I think so far I've fallen in love with about a dozen pups that are up for grabs, so I share your pain!  Gah!  The cuteness!  It'll get you every time!

Hi, Honey West!

Thanks!  ^-^  I look forward to visiting more often, once the dust settles.  But jeez-o-peetz!  I'm now caught in a never-ending mound paperwork.  Can I please just move in already, paint the walls, and count down the seconds until January?  

Board footera